07' Santa Fe Roof Rack Mystery

We're thrilled with our new Santa Fe right up until we loaded up for a long trip and realized the front crossbar is for some mysterious reason intentionally limited to not slide forward by more than 2/3 of the rail distance. This automatically eliminates almost all roof pod systems big enough for skiis (and still be able to open the lift gate). Does anyone know anything about this???? What is the logic behind this in an otherwise formidable SUV. Thanks in advance Jon H. (Pls. post & Email)

Reply to
Jon H.

Apparently, placing the roof rack rail too far frontward causes wind noise. My guess is that Hyundai took a beating on wind noise complaints and decided to prevent customers from adjusting the roof rails to positions where they would make noise.

Reply to
hyundaitech

My Chrysler minivant has marks on the rack rails that tell you where to place the cross bars when you aren't using the rack (to prevent wind noise), but it doesn't restrict you from using the full length of the rails when necessary. If this is to prevent wind noise, then that is really stupid on Hyundai's part. It may also be to avoid getting weight too far forward or some other reason, but I expect it is for wind noise.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to