Re: 1997 Hyundai Elantra won't start

The car has always turned over except when I ran the battery down, it was in need of a new battery so I bought one.

The phrase "almost catch" means it fires here and there (like it had a carburator and it was flooded). No check engine lamps are on.

When all this first started I pulled the spark plugs and they were wet, so I sat them on the engine and then turned the ignition key and their was so much fuel in the cylinders that every time the piston hit top dead center the plug fired and their was a flame shooting out of each cylinder as if there were to much gas in the cylinders. So I assumed that the plugs and wires needed replaced (the electrodes were worn) because their was not enough spark to burn the fuel. Well it was cold this morning and the damn thing did not start!!!! I have come to the conclusion that when it is really cold out it will not start. Is their a fuel pressure regulator that would dump to much fuel into the engine when the engine is cold?

Maybe between the cold air and to much fuel it IS flooding out? Maybe that after it sets awhile and I get home from it starts because the temperature rises?

By the way it has never back fired through the intake or exhaust. Again could it be flooding out????????

Reply to
Dennis D

Have you taken a code reading from the OBD.?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you have access to a code reader (or even better, a scanner) check to see if there are any stored engine trouble codes. If it's a scanner, also check your coolnat temperature data.

Your dangerous test has proven that you have fuel and spark. So i think you may well be correct that it's a fuel mixture issue. I'd suspect the coolant temperature sensor, but I'm not confident enough that I think you should just replace it without some sort of verification.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The check engine light is now on. I do not have a code reader. My daughter took her car to Auto Zone and they hooked up a coder and told her that Number 2 cylinder was miss firing.

Reply to
Dennis D

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:00:33 -0600, Dennis D cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Why not start from the beginning and write a coherent post. First - state fully what you are facing and what you are asking. From your post above (with the stupid subject line leads into the body text...), you have a 1997 Elantra that won't start. You don't have a code reader. Your daughter who apparently has some other kind of car went to Auto Zone and discovered she had a Number 2 cylinder misfire. What does that have to do with your car? What are the sypmtoms when you attempt to start the car?

If you can't provide any better information than this, it's most likely that a code reader and any advice here isn't going to really help you. You probably should take your car (and your daughter's car...) to a mechanic.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Presuming we've been talking about your daughter's car to begin with, if the only DTC present is a P0302, it's more likely to be a consequence of the problem than an indicator of the cause. Even if you were getting now power from cylinder #2, the car would still start pretty much normally (but run very poorly).

May be better to take to a mechanic at this point since you don't have access to a scanner.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well my 1996 Hyundia Elantra does not have a to much fuel problem now I have a no fuel problem. Again the car did not start the other morning, so I pulled the spark plugs out and expecting to see wet spark plugs, well I did not they were completely dry. I removed the fuel pressure regulator return line, turn the ignition and got fuel so I guess that means that my fuel pump is still working. So their has to be a sensor that tells the injectors how much fuel to inject or not to inject any??????????

Reply to
Dennis D

Having fuel come out of the line is a good indicator for fuel pressure, but it's not a foolproof one. A pump can be good enough to pump fuel with little resistance but not good enough to provide the pressure required to operate the injectors.

The injectors (and spark plugs) are controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM primarily uses information from the crankshaft position sensor to determine when to fire the plugs and injectors.

Reply to
hyundaitech