2000 Elantra - F#$*king Check Engine Light!

I have paid a near fortune - replaced the computer, replaced all the things it might have been - can't get this freaking thing to stay off!!!

Anybody else?

Reply to
TheChris

Pull the bulb. Replace everything that surrounds the location for that bulb. Everything. Replace bulb.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sorry to ask the obvious - what code(s) are you getting?

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Matthew Fedder wrote in news:2ab05db3-0404-4794-9ff7- snipped-for-privacy@x3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

I'll ask again. First it was a legitimate O2 sensor, then something to do with the air mixture in the gas... I'll see what it says today.

Reply to
TheChris

Take it to autozone or whatever local FLAPS suits your preference and ask them to read out the diagnostic codes. Post everything you get from the code reader here, the codes are 5 characters long and begin with one of four letters, with P being the most common. The second digit will be either a 1 or 0, if it is a 1, it means that code is vehicle specific, if it is a 0, that is a 'generic' OBD-II code. Also keep in mind that a diagnostic code indicates a problem in a CIRCUIT, not necessarily a sensor. Don't throw parts at the problem unless you know for certain what is wrong.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Hal wrote in news:da2ca1c1-6af1-43d6-9fa0- snipped-for-privacy@b9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

They're saying it's an 'Evaporator Cannister'....Something like it.. I'm going to price it and compare it to what they charge me for the part...

Reply to
TheChris

Re-read Hal's post. Please post the exact code(s) you get from the scanner, (e.g., P1234) not their interpretation of them. Otherwise, it's a waste of time all around.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

I would first try a new gas cap. Then have the check engine light reset at one of the parts supply stores (usually free). I leaking gas cap can cause that code (I had it happen twice).

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in news:17978-4A22655D-3095 @storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Already did that.. And did I tell you they soaked me for a new computer already? Let me get that code...Thanks

Reply to
TheChris

Hal wrote in news:da2ca1c1-6af1-43d6-9fa0- snipped-for-privacy@b9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

They are getting me the code...

The part she says is an 'Evaporation Control Cannister'... I'm hoping it's not the $477 part I see on the ReyReece site.

I'm SO sick of them piecing out this repair.

Hey - if anybody has any leads on where to find one.. Please let me know... I'll post the code later.

Thanks much!

Reply to
TheChris

Which means nothing unless you post the diagnostic code. The scanner will list the code, write it down if you have to yank it out of the guys hand at autozone and look at the display yourself.

Chris

Reply to
Hal