2000 Sonata P1154

Car: 2000 Sonata GLS v6 w/ 55,000 miles

I recently bought this car and the check engine light came on the other night. The car has been running perfect, and the previous owner took meticulous care of this car. The car is originally from New Jersey and is now in Oklahoma.

The only difference I have noticed is that the idle seems to be a slightly rougher while it is parked. I say little as in there is almost no difference and none while driving. My understanding is that the code P1154- Bank 2 fuel control shifted rich is in regards to an O2 sensor located on the front passenger side of the exhaust manifold, is this correct? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from tripping again or is this something that tends to just "go out" as parts do?

When the car is cold, there is a slight high pitch whine from the transmission, but after you hit 20mph and the car warms up a little it doesnt do it anymore. Any ideas as what this might be? Any help would be much appreciated on these questions. Thanks.

Reply to
TulsaJeff via CarKB.com

P1154 reflects a problem with the oxygen sensor you describe. It's been an ongoing issue with this the particular type oxygen sensors you have in your car.

Before replacing the oxygen sensor, contact your local dealer and ask them to check for open recalls (or post your VIN here and I'll do it for you). You'll be entitled to a free reprogram and/or oxygen sensor replacement if campaign V01 hasn't been completed on the car.

If the campaign has been completed, you'll be on the hook for the repairs. The good news is that the oxygen sensor isn't all that expensive.

Reply to
hyundaitech

funny because I was quoted 250 cdn for the 02 sensore in my car 2002 accent

Mary

Reply to
Mary

Here is the VIN # KMHWF35V5YA304649 Thank-You so much for all of your help, Jeff

Reply to
TulsaJeff via CarKB.com

The recall in question only applies to 1999 to 2002 (and some 2003) Sonatas with the V6 engine. It doesn't apply to your car because the Accent doesn't have the same problems that the Sonata does. Similarly, since the oxygen sensors are different, the pricing will be different as well. If I recall correctly, the Accent oxygen sensors are over $100 U.S. for the part.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry, Jeff. Bad news. The recall was performed 12/28/04 at 43683 miles. You also had the 6 year/72k class action settlement warranty, but that expired in May. You're on the hook for the oxygen sensor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

They were making a nice buck on you

You can easily get one for $100 to $120 CDN. A dealer would probably be $250, a good reason to avoid the dealers for routine service.

I recently paid $100 US + a few bucks labor at a local repair shop for one on my Buick.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

rougher while it is parked. I say little as in there is almost no difference >

and none while driving. My understanding is that the code P1154- Bank 2 fuel >

control shifted rich is in regards to an O2 sensor located on the front >

passenger side of the exhaust manifold, is this correct? Is there anything I >

can do to prevent this from tripping again or is this something that tends to >

just "go out" as parts do? > > When the car is cold, there is a slight high pitch whine from the > transmission, but after you hit 20mph and the car warms up a little it doesnt > do it anymore. Any ideas as what this might be? Any help would be much > appreciated on these questions. Thanks. > > --

Hello, I have the same code on my 1999 Sonata GLS V6. The VIN is KMHWF35V9XA089842

Is there any chance someone could check the recall status of this?

Thanks

Reply to
sanjosanjo