2001 Accent Flex Pipe

The flex pipe on my 2001 Accent is rusted through at the rear attachment point. Looking at the set-up, I'm wondering if there's any reason I have to spend the $137.68 Hyundai charges for a replacement (or the $80 or so online), or whether I could just use a length of rigid pipe instead?

Reply to
Jon Stafford

Using a rigid pipe could cause more exhaust movement than you'd like. It could theoretically damage the rubber hangers. If I had to guess, I'd say the rigid pipe would probably work, but you'll run the risk of improbable other problems. I might try it on my own car if I were hard up for the cash, but wouldn't even think of it on a customer's car.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Same thing happened on my 2001 Accent. By the time the dealer was done, the bill was near $700 CAD for

flex pipe (includes a length of rigid pipe) replace one O2 sensor salvage one O2 sensor from rigid pipe OBD diagnostics labor taxes

Reply to
accent

Thats mighty expensive replacement for some exhaust-rated flex hose (like dryer hose, just smaller and rated for much more heat) and a couple stainless pipe clamps. :)

Thats all there is to it folks... most any parts store (O'Reilly's here) has that stuff, reasonably cheap..

Not sure if it'll pass inspection where you live. I'm in an area without emissions testing in Texas, and I know people that have had this stuff on their cars for years (And current inspections) so be aware YMMV.

JS

kcw wrote:

Reply to
Jacob Suter

My factory flex pipe part includes the flex hose, a braided jacket and

3 feet of rigid pipe. It is all one piece. I was told by a muffler shop that it is a dealer only part. The other option was to cut off the existing flex hose and weld on an after market flex hose for $200.
Reply to
accent

My shop found a non dealer source for my 99 accent. They exist.

Reply to
nothermark