Fuel tank advice

The tank on my 110 has had a hard bashing in an earlier life, so much so that it only holds 65 l instead of 80. ONe downside of this is that the float doesn't move, so I can't tell the level of the fuel (a new sender unit didn't help, and the old one works fine outside the tank).

Having looked at the procedure to remove the damn thing, I am wondering if it would be easier to lift the rear floor, take the return pipe out and use a length of 2x2 through the hole to beat out the dent. Any opinions?

Richard: what is the cost of a replacement tank?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Maybe I did something wrong but when I had to replace the rear crossmember on my 1990 CSW I had to remove the tank and I didn't find it too much of a problem taking it out or putting it back in again!

The worst problem I had was that the new crossmember had a different size hole near teh sender unit and I had to alter (OK, bodge) the fuel connection to fit. At least you shouldn't have this problem!

Cheers

Peter

1995 Volvo 940 1990 CSW 1973 Imp 1964 Rover P4 110
Reply to
puffernutter

You may well be right, I was looking at Haynes and it talked about removing bits of the suspension, but it probably doesn't apply to mine (1984 with self-levelling unit)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The floor seems to be held in with screws or bolts - the big cross headed ones

Hmm, might they be getting in the way of the float?

Ow, Ow Ow!

I'll run it!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

That's certianly one approach! Getting the floor out ain't easy though, as unless it's been out before, as it is spot welded to the side boxes and riveted to the floor crossmembers (knocking the heads off with a chiesel isn't hard though, if a little painful on occasaions..).

There (should) be baffles inside the tank to stop fuel slopping about - they may get in the way though.

The tank's £81.07 inc VAT - delivery £27.00. You may well need some/all of the fixings unless you're lucky and the all come undone.

Richard (seriously considering setting up a French branch!)

Reply to
beamendsltd

That's a good bonus - a lot of jobs just got a lot easier!

Could be, with the tank being bent. Some "adjustment" with said 2x2 might help!

Is that an impersonation of the courier unloading it ;-)

Tempting, very tempting.....

Reply to
beamendsltd

Replaced mine with one from Richard, no problems really. Only need to remove

any suspension if you have an anti roll bar in which case remove the stirrups

and it folds down.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

I wonder if at least some of the dents will pop out if you were to block up the overflow/breather and apply a little compressed air? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Sods law says that although the current dents havn't caused a leak, any attempt to remove the dents will result in a tank with more holes in it than a Government War Inquiry.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I dont suppose you could tell me if there are any other landrover tanks that look similarily sized/mounted to the 101fc tank?

reckon a series one would fit inside the existing one and i could customise the holes to fit the 101 fuel pump?

My whole garden currently reeks of petrol so much that im moving the truck to do some welding on the drive!..

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's unique, as far as I know.

It may well do, but your range would be, er, "limited" I expect!

Someone does stainless ones, if you're keeping the motor it's probably worth it in the long run - though the lenders are curently dropping fixed-rate motrgauges ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

My thoughts are along these lines too.

Or if it's petrol just leave the cap off with a litre of fuel in the bottom and get someone to wave a match close by.......

Whhhhhhooomp... instant bulbous fuel tank.... your eyebrows are

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

In article , Stuart Gray writes

If you're anywhere near Bristol (West), I've got one you can have for free.

It's been stored outside, and I think the top breather pipe spigot is missing, but otherwise it's unused and in black paint.

I tried Freecycling it and had one reply, but it was never collected.

... just read the correspondence about a French branch for Beamends!

Personally, I'd do the whole thing including the stone guard. If you get it wrong and it leaks, it's horrid.

I did mine from underneath, per the HBOL. You can do this, but you really need a pit or a lift, as it's a horrible job with only axle stands. I'd also recommend replacing the sender at the same time. You can theoretically swap it over, but it was bad enough getting a new retaining ring to fit - I couldn't budge the old one without doing serious damage, and I don't reckon it's worth bothering.

If you've a Dixon-Bate drop plate, the braces need to come off too, and re-fitting the bolts for those is also fun, as there's not enough clearance for a socket, and not really enough sideways clearance for a spanner. IIRC, a ring spanner also gets stuck somewhere...

Have fun.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Not anymore, though I grew up in Staple Hill

Yes, a bit far! I've still got a Land Rovering mate in Bristol, but he only travels East through Europe, and I'm West France. Pity, because new they are hideously expensive.

The sender changed fine (I thought the old one was knackered, turned out something is stopping the float from, er, floating.

Hmm, I've swapped my Dixon-Bate a couple oftimes and had no problems with the arms. Perhaps my fingers go the wrong way!

Cheers, Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

how far south/west into france are you?

I can get a tank across the channel and to Rouen in a couple of months. I'm local to Richard too if you get a new one.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The Vendee, left hand side , about a third of the way between Nantes and Bordeaux. Find the junction of the A83 and the A87, and I'm about 10 km from there!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

On or around Wed, 02 May 2007 16:44:37 +0200, Stuart Gray enlightened us thusly:

don't that mean "sold"?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ka-Ching! To the Welshman with the minibus.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You are a lot further down than im likely to be going!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep, thanks for the offer though!

Stuart