2001 santafe steering problem update

OK. Lifted both front wheels and found that right front has side to side play of about 1/2" to 5/8". The left front wheel does not have this play so I am hoping this is just a tie rod adjustment? Any opinions?

Reply to
zenox

Although the tie rod is a possibility, the ball joint is a much more common failure on the Santa Fe. If you also have play when you grasp the top and bottom of the wheel and check for play, expect the ball joint to be the issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

He's got side to side play HT. That would signal a tie rod end to me.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
zenox

While you've got a significant amount of logic on your side, I've seen this before. What happens is that the tie rod end holds the rear edge of the wheel steady but the play in the ball joint allows the front of the wheel to be pulled in and out.

Regardless, it's all moot until someone actually gets under and sees the component that is moving around.

Reply to
hyundaitech