1997 Ford Escort Steering Groan

Check your power steering fluid and make sure it's at the correct level.

Or your power steering belt may be slipping, but that's normally a high pitch squeal sound.

r/

-Ian

Reply to
IanCT

The steering in my Escort is groaning like a banshee when I make a hard turn to either the right or the left. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the steering/wheel assembly. Mild turns don't result in the noise. The car is riding well -- no shimmies or difficulty in steering. Just this wicked groan.

About a month ago I had the right tie rod end replaced and the front aligned. I'm hoping the left tie rod isn't going the way of the right.

I'd appreciate any ideas on where to start.

JoAnne M.

Reply to
JoAnne Mottola