2002 SantaFe ; get Timing belt done at 50,000 to play it safe ??

Manual says 60,000 miles. Does it make good sense to get it done at

50,000 .... especially when its taken 5 years to accumulate 50,000 miles , and, already having had a Timing Belt break on a different car already ? (fortunately right outside my mechanics shop !) Thanks.
Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Actually, the interval is four years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, so if you're already at 5 years, you're technically over by a year as it is.

If you have the 2.4 Liter four cylinder, do it now. If you have the 2.7, I seriously doubt anything will occur before the 60k mark. By the same token, if you're the original owner, the warranty will cover the belt for

10 years/100,000 miles as long as you aren't overdue for replacement. So, if you replace it now, you've got a lot more timing belt coverage coming.

Obviously, the longer you wait, the greater the likelihood of a problem. Ultimately, the decision is yours as to where you wish to draw the line as to how much you're willing to gamble on this.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the info , HTech. Can u tell me approx. what a timing belt job costs on a 2002 Santa Fe 2. 7 litre motor , if a Hyundai Dealer were to do it ? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

It'll vary by geographic location. Where I'm employed, to replace the belt and tensioner runs around $700. If you don't do the tensioner, you can subtract around $100 to $120.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Does Hyundia use interference fit engines across the model lines?

Reply to
QX

They do at least on some models. If you go to the Gates belt web site they have a complete list of all manufacturers and if interference or not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

.token, if you're the original owner, the warranty will cover the belt for

10 years/100,000 miles as long as you aren't overdue for replacement. So

HT Please explian this a little more, I have a 2005 XG350L, its 3 years old and just turned 15K miles. Does this mean I still have to have the belt changed at 60K or if I dont its still covered 10/100 because Im the original owner?

As Always Thanks ']['unez

Reply to
']['unez

To my knowledge, anything currently being manufactured and sold in the U.S. by Hyundai has an interference engine.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Your original timing belt is covered up to the replacement interval (4 years/60,000 miles). In your case, that'll be four years unless your driving habits change quite drastically.

If you wish the warranty coverage to continue, you'll need to replace the timing belt with a factory belt at that time.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I did my wife's elantra at the 48mo (required) with 16400 miles ....

$320 here in Oregon , the dealer here knows me and understands that we require "Factory maintenance ONLY" .

Has to be changed at 48mo's to maintain the warranty.

Reply to
Michael