Timing Belt Replacement Question

Vehicle in question is a 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6.

When should I really change the timing belt?

The book says every 60K unless the car was initially registered in CA,MA,VT,NY or ME. Otherwise check it at 60,000 and 90,000 miles. Change it 105,000 miles.

Does Mazda use a different timing belt for those 5 states? Probably not. Are the other 45 states changing the belt too often?

I bought and registered the car in MA. I do the Schedule 1 maintenance every 7,500 miles. I would say over 85 percent of the mileage is on the highway. Not too much stop and go.

Had it in the shop today for rear bushings for the second time. Once at 30,000 and today at 66,325. Service pointed out that I should swap the timing belt. I mentioned what the manual stated. The response was "that's the bare minimum maintenance you should do under perfect driving conditions." Sounded like the service department was fishing for revenue. On the other hand very bad things can happen when a timing belt fails....

Am I living on borrowed time or do I rush down and drop 400-500 bucks for a new belt?

Reply to
Alan R. Dailey

I don't think any recent Mazda engines are interference engines so the worst that would happen is that you'd be stranded somewhere...

Reply to
Z.Z.

|Vehicle in question is a 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6. | | | |When should I really change the timing belt? | |The book says every 60K unless the car was initially registered in |CA,MA,VT,NY or ME. Otherwise check it at 60,000 and 90,000 miles. |Change it 105,000 miles.

Sounds like you need to calculate how much of the mileage was accrued in Maine, and factor that into the total to arrive at belt change milage :) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

A timing belt in a well designed engine (some would consider this an oxymoron) can last over 150,000 miles of highway driving. In city driving with a water pump leaking on it a belt can go in less than 20,000 miles. It is very unlikely that different belts are used in different states; it probably has something to do with state warranty laws. If you have an interference engine bad things (bent valves) will happen if the belt breaks. Check it often.

"Alan R. Dailey" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Walsh