2003 Accent smoke?

Coming home tonight, I noticed my 2003 Accent seemed to be smoking... I could see it caught in the headlights of the car behind me. Pulled over and took a look, but could not find the source, or see any trace, of the smoke. I could, however, very distinctly smell burning rubber. When I saw the smoke, it was on the passenger side. I popped the hood, but still nothing. Gonna jack the car up tomorrow and check under it, but I'm not a very mechanically inclined person. Any ideas on what it could be?

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Could be many things. Did you have an oil changed or add oil? If it drips on a hot manifold or exhaust pipe it can smoke. Same with an oil leak. Check the coolant level too. Did you notice the gauge?

Sometimes a slipping belt will smoke a bit before it fails.

Brake pads sticking can also smoke as they overheat.

Since it was on the passenger side, did you have a passenger? If so, did he/she eat pickled eggs and beer?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wholey irrelevant Edwin. The OP made no reference to green smoke, which is often the mistaken reference for the highly acclaimed green cloud that accompanies a good night of pickled eggs and beer. Please try to focus on these things...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Last oil change was 2.5 months ago, it's almost time for another one. I didn't hear any best slipping, but I'm gonna get in there with a flashlight in a bit and check for any obvious damage. What's the best way to find out if the brake pads are sticking?

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

If the pads were smoking, chances are you's smell it around the wheel.

OK, but how about sauerkraut? Did his eyes burn?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Found out what the problem was... The oil sending unit was bad/leaking. Dealer replaced it under warrenty. Oil was dripping onto the exhaust manifold, and thus making some pretty white smoke. All fixed now!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron