2003 Sonata Radio Problem

The radio quit working on my 2003 Sonata (receive only static notice on all AM/FM stations). The dealer took a look and concluded that the problem "could be" with the radio and they need to remove it and sent it off-site to be tested

-- estimate $300!

I am not convinced that the problem is with the radio. I suspect some sort of loose connection or an antenna problem. Any advice on how to test my theory would be appreciated. Note: The radio starts working occasionally, if I play a CD for an extended period (~ 1 hour) and remove the CD. It will continue to work until I turn off the car.

If it is really the radio, I would like to replace it myself and would like to know where I could find the instructions on how to go about it.

Reply to
lali

You are questioning the diagnosis, but you don't know how to "test your theory"? The other clue that should be telling you that it's not an antenna connection is that the CD player acts up. You should probably let someone who understand these things have a hand at it. That said, I'm surprised you got quoted that price by the dealer - unless you're over the mileage warranty period. My wife's '04 had a problem with the CD player and the dealer swapped it out under the 5/60,000 mile warranty. No charge, no problems.

Instructions come with aftermarket radios. If you go the route of getting an OEM radio out of the junk yard or the likes, you can get information here on how to get the dash panels apart. It's been discussed here before so you could do a google search if you wanted, and you'll find quite a bit of information.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Hyundaisales via CarKB.com

Unfortunately, Mike, the radio is not covered under the 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty. The radio is only covered for 3/36. Go figure.

Reply to
hyundaitech