Radio problems

Hi:

I have a 1998 Ply Neon with factory radio & the multi-disc trunk mounted CD changer. A few days ago the AM radio quit working. The FM was fine. I thought that maybe the antenna lead had come loose so I pulled the radio to check it out. What I found out was that the 'FM Modulator' used to send the CD signal to the head unit had crapped out. I ended up by-passing it and running the antenna straight into the radio. Problem solved.

My question - Why would the modulator allow the FM signal though, but not the AM? I would think it would be a 'all or nothing' scenario.

[SPS Special Performance Series Model CDC-625 apparently built by Audiovox]

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall

That does seem strange. I too, use an aftermarket FM modulator that I installed myself. It needs to have it's own power source to work. I find that if I leave it on all the time, it does interfere with both AM & FM reception. I installed a switch to get around this problem. When it is off, it does not cause any problem with radio reception.

If your FM modulator has a power source, it mostly likely comes on when the CD changer is on. There may be a relay that has malfunctioned, causing it to stay on all the time.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to