2004 sonata gl - change rims?

After much deliberation, I recently purchased a 2004 Sonata GL (w/the V6). For my budget, the difference between the interiors of the GLS & the GL was just not worth the extra cost.

But now I'm thinking about the wheels.

The GL comes w/ 15" steel wheels & plastic wheelcovers. I'm thinking, when the time comes to put new tires on this car, what would stop me from putting the 16" stock Hyundai alloy rims on it? Would I have to get the speedo recalibrated? Any other technical considerations I should think about? The engine is the stock 2.7L V6

Any advice, opinions or amusing anecdotes would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
woj_product

There are a couple considerations when changing wheel sizes and I will try to list a few.

The rolling radius will be different (causing a speedo error although likely not significant) unless you change your tire profile. I think you have a 205/65 so may want to go to a 205/60 x 16 to maintain a similar circumference.

Bolt configuration and offset may also be different but I think in your instance they are the same.

Also if you are changing wheel and tire size you need to make sure that there is clearance in your wheel well and wheel hubs to the wheel. Also most likely not a problem with your intentions.

My questi> After much deliberation, I recently purchased a 2004 Sonata GL (w/the

Reply to
jp103

I guess my intentions for sticking with stock rims would be

#1 to keep things as simple as possible re. fit, and

#2. to not pretend that the GL is such an awesome car that it needs fancy aftermarket rims.

but your suggestion about tirerack.com is a good one, as it seems there are nice looking rims there that are not too obnoxious. I've used them before for tires, but now I can see they would work just as well for rims.

Appreciate the reply & insight.

Reply to
woj_product