2006 Sonata Gas Gauge

My gas gauge has started to go no higher than 3/4 tank even though I feed it with the liquid gold called gasoline to the top. This was an intermittent problem 6 months ago but now it's done it for the last 3 fill ups. Does the tank need to be dropped or is the gauge accessible from the trunk? Wanted to know how long I would have to let the dealer have it since I live 30 miles away. Thanks

Reply to
631grant

The gauge is accessible from the dash. The sending unit, OTOH, is in the tank. Until you know the problem it is difficult to say how long it will take, but it is going to be hours, not minutes to drop the tank and replace if it is the sending unit.. Some dealers have loaner cars for free or cheap. Why not call them?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks, Ed. Yea, I intend to call them but I just wanted a heads up on the location of the 'sending unit'...... Bad terminology on my part. :o( I was hoping that it was in the trunk as it is in my Jetta. Service advisors are notoriously non-committal and ill-informed, IMHO, so I wanted to know the real location. It seems they take new-hires and put them in that position first. Two people from my son's automotive tech school class got those jobs plus one girl got an estimator's job. None of the three were worth a flip.

Reply to
631grant

The sender unit (part of the fuel pump) is accesible through an access panel in the front right hand side of the trunk. 99% chance it's the sender.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks, hyundaitech, I knew you'd come through. Sounds like the wife and I will be shopping in Athens, Ga some day soon. :o)

Reply to
631grant