'98 3L Sonata speedo failed

Just a question if anyone can help, it would be appreciated. My daughter's Sonata has the Mitsubishi 3L ('98 model) with all the accessories, its a Levant. Anyway I can't buy a manual for it in Australia, as the speedo has failed. The automatic transmission is also Mitsubishi and I think its a F4A33.

Has anyone had the speedo plastic gears which drive the sensor out due to failure? The auto-electrician said there was a problem deeper in the transmission which is damaging the plastic gears. This sounds silly to me as the trans is made of metal, and the gears are plastic.

Thanx for any comments

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

It's just the gear for the speedometer sensor that's plastic. There's no real load on it. But it's possible that the metal gear inside is somehow damaged causing damage to the plastic gear.

The most frequent issue is with the speed sensor.

But if it's something damaging the gear, I'd recommend simply continuing to replace the speedometer driven (plastic) gear as long as it lasts a reasonable time. It can be removed through the transmission case easily. Repair deeper inside will likely cost more money than the car is worth.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanx for those comments. I've ordered a manual for thesame angine/trans combination in a Magna Verada or Diamante in the US.

I see what you mean, with the plastic gear,..in all the older generation cars, the speedo drive did have some load on it having to spin the speedo-cable, but now its just a sensor.

Thanx again,...Jason

Reply to
Jason James