what oils/fluids for S reg diesel mondeo

What oil do I need for an S Reg TD 1.8 Mondeo? It's the Endura engine

I believe I need synthetic oil but thought I'd check on here?

Also do I need a specfic power steering fluid?

Thanks

Reply to
tony_a_a

A S-reg endura shoule be 10w40 mineral oil. It wasn't until 99MY that they changed the majority of genuine ford engines to 5w30 semi-synthetic.

Any normal power steering fluid will do (ie ATF, dextron etc..)

Reply to
M Cuthill

Thanks alot for info that - The reason I'm asking is that the guy I bought it off reckoned it needed a synthetic oil, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Would it be bad for engine putting in synthetic oil if its only requires a mineral oil - and visa versa.

How could I tell if its original engine and not maybe a recondtioned later one?

Is there a simple way of telling?

Thanks

Reply to
tony_a_a

You can use semi/fully synthetic oil in it if you want, it's just that when you start using a lower grade of oil you may encounter problems. I've actually just came across a ford tech data book for that year, and all diesel cars should be 15w40. But I'm sure the later books recommended 10w40, as ford rationalised the number of oils they were using. Certainly we only ever used 10w40 at work, and that was approved by ford.

The modifications between the 98MY and 99MY engines were minimal. Oil pressure switches had a different pressure rating, and I think the newer oil pumps had slightly tighter tolerances to allow for the marginally thinner oil.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Don't think it's good practice to mix ATF and Dexron.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good quality diesel specific mineral oil, 10w-40 changed every 5k / 6months. Perfect.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

??????? Dexron is ATF but ATF is not necessarily Dexron. All are miscible but not necessarily meeting compatible standards.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Most mean Ford compatible by ATF - but have it your own way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are about half a dozen or more ATF's [Automatic Transmisson Fluids] of which Dexron and Mercon are but two of the most common with Dexron by far the most common. So yes, on this occassion I will have it my way thank you very much.

Huw

Reply to
Huw