98 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback check engine light

I was on I-95 one night and I was in a hurry to get home and was speeding and almost reached about 90 mph when my check engine light came on and started flashing. I parked it and about two days later it went off what is the problem?

Reply to
Rickey

Well it's obvious - the check engine light came on. Now do that - take it to a garage and get it checked.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Abusive driving.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Jody

and for us DIY ? what does it mean?

a "Garage" might screw up the car even worse.

Reply to
news

admitting to speeding, guilty!

Sir, you have the right to remain silent, any thing you say....................................

Reply to
news

Well - if you're a DIY mechanic then I'd have to ask just what you expect anyone to be able to say in answer to the original post? OK - try this on for size.

1) Check your gas cap. 2) If it's not on tight, then read the owner's manual to see how to properly install the gas cap. Exercise caution as afterall, you are working in the vicinity of gasoline which is highly combustible. 3) If the gas cap is on tight, then take your car to a garage for further evaluation.

a "Garage" might screw up the car even worse" - highly doubtful.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Okay, why would a gas cap, not properly screwed in cause a "check engine" light to come on? Call me silly (no, please don't call me silly :) BUT, I've never heard of that. Fuel pressure sensor somewhere that detects this? would a bad cap do it?

Gas=petrol Petrol=gas

Not around my neighborhood..:)) Perhaps you mean "garage" as in a "Authorized Dealer"

the last garage I used, was for a cracked main pulley (harmonic balancer) a week after that, I noticed belt slippage from the alternator, later I found out they never installed the nut on the bottom bolt! I re-inserted the bolt all the way in, and installed another nut myself. I will eventually visit the shop (garage) that did this crappy service, and give them a piece of my mind. (just a small piece, since ive lost most of it anyway :))

THANK YOU MIKE

cheers Dave

Reply to
news

Gas tank pressure has been monitored now for several years. Loose cap - check engine light. You'd think they'd put yet another idiot light on the dash, wouldn't you? One that says - "Check Gas Cap". Imagine all the calls to the dealer...

Certainly a dealer is an option but there are lots of qualified independent mechanics out there too. At least in the US there are.

You too???

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Mike, you are a gentleman and a Scholar.

I am really BLOWN away from with this info! (figuretaviley speaking....no sparks!) last car i had, (before a wreck) was a 90 300ZX. I always noticed a small burst of pressure when opening the cap, mid to low tank level. However, My

98 Sonta does NOt make this release. Could it be why my dummy light is still on? (Check Engine light) Could it be leak elsewhere in the fuel system?

BTW: we call it "dummy lights" around here ;-)

I hate to admit, in South Florida USA, there are LOUSY mechanics! Even some dealers are horrible. There has to be good ones, im sure of that, but I have crossed too many bad ones since my first Chevy, used Monte Carlo 1979 bought in 1981. I think lack of proper certification by the State, maybe.....dunno....

HUH, whaaaa? i forgot what you were saying???? :))

Reply to
news