99 Accent belts questions

I started to get somebelt squeal so I picked up an alternator and a power steering belt with the intent to change them. That lead to a few questions:

  1. Does 12 MM sound right for the power steering pump? 10 and 11 would not fit, 13 too big. No 12mm in 3 metric sets. 1/2 in no good either. :-(

  1. Decided to take up a little slack on the alternator belt to quiet things down tomorrow when I will pick up a 12 MM end wrench in my travels. Noticed the alternator flexes when the belt is pushed on. Quite noticeable flex. Is this normal? 12 MM impact socket worked on the alternator.

I would have checked the service web site but my password and login have not come back yet. More than 30 minutes so it does not seem to be one of those automated "give us your name and we give you a number" type sites.

nothermark

Reply to
nothermark
12mm is the correct size. You should check into the alternator to be sure it's secure on top and bottom.

In regard to the site, it's my understanding from Hyundai that they intend to track use.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If it's still a problem and you are having trouble. It wouldn't hurt to simply take the car in for servicing. If it's not covered under anything than avoid the stealership (dealership) and find a trustable mechanic. ASE certified is best.

Reply to
freenterpriseusa

  1. Partial solution, was 12MM. Also found out bottom alternator bolt is loose so free play in alternator is not normal. When I asked the guy at the parts store about belts he missed the air conditioning belt so I wll be pulling the plastic chield tonight to replace all 3 belts and tighten the alternator.
  2. Basic math. the shop charges - /hour to run a wrench. I get paid as the wages around here in the private sector are sliding downhill fast. How many hours do I have to work to pay for the time in the shop?
Reply to
nothermark