Power Steering Faulty?

A few days ago, I drove through a small puddle whilst turning left. The steering wheel seemed to go very light - as if I was going straight on (I definately wasn't aquaplaning or skidding!). The same thing happened today while going through a large puddle at high AND low speeds. Is this normal or do I need to check the bank balance again? Its the first Landy I've had with PS.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

Tighten up or replace your power steering pump drive belt. The water is making the pulley slip. This can have two effects:

  1. Steering goes heavy if under load as pump can't supply the power required

  1. Steering feels slack/loose as the hydraulic pressure drops off backlash becomes present in the system. (only really noticable on smooth bend with minor steering corrections)

Hope this helps, Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

I have to say that when wadding the PS goes stiff (like there's no fluid) rather than light!

I'm not sure what that could be! Maybe it is planning?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Yeah, I was going in a straight line through the large puddle, fast one way then back through slow with the same effect on the steering. Definately not aquaplaning!

Reply to
Ian Symonds

Ice maybe?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Check your steering bar (from the steering box drop arm to the hub) isn't kinked or bent from offroading damage (without a steering / bash guard) If so, the steering wheel will turn very lightly (as it is flexing the steering rod) instead of turning the wheels. The force of hitting the puddle at speed could be enough to flex the rod if it's already bent If it is this, it needs sorting urgently as the rod could fatigue and eventually snap.

Hope this helps, Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

I sometimes experience exactly the same and I am also a little bit confused the reason could be.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Did it again today, went through a small puddle and steering went very stiff for a few seconds. Steering bar is not damaged it is infact about 6 months old.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

The power steering belt is slack. Any water on it causes it to slip, you lose part of your power steering until it dries off...

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:17:04 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

sounds about right.

went hunting floods yesterday, in a spare 40 minutes or so. Chickened out of going through one, over 2' deep with a vicious cross-current, but went through several others up to about 18". I'd have tried the deep one if it had been essential, but just for playing purposes, would've been rather silly to get stranded in the middle...

V8 did remarkably well, considering no specific preparation for water, occasionally dropped a few pots but they cam back again - mostly driving fast through shallow stuff making impressive splashes, that was. It did die once, no-where near any deep water, thanks to a strategic splat of water bang on top of the coil. I guess relocating the coil wouldn't hurt, but the distributor is in such a silly place that I really doubt it makes that much odds.

didn't lose the power steering, interestingly. Did on several occasions drop the alternator off-line, due to belt slip.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

remember the kitchen glove trick or the much simpler method of the cut half

2 lt. Coke bottle on top of the distributor.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:44:17 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I've been contemplating that. The coil could do with a hat too. the only time it stopped was when something splashed the coil with fiendish accuracy. and that wasn't in deep water at all.

impressive flood down in Carmarthen, looking eastwards off the bypass, all I could see was water with the occasional tree sticking out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles