Need help finding the alternator belt tensioner

I figure the hellish screeching coming from under my hood is my alternator belt, as it stops after 20-30 seconds and the battery is getting sluggish quickly. Problem is, being an idiot who still wishes to save money, I don't know where the tensioner is on my 93 Nissan pickup. It's been going on for a while so the belt pulleys may have polished the underside of the belt by now, but I want to try tightening it before I hand out cash to get the belt replaced. My mechanical inclinations extend to where the key goes and where the gas nozzle goes and, well that's about it. I am a whiz at presetting radio stations but that has nothing to do with my problem. Simple steps would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Goldfinger7967

I am not familiar with your model, but on my 93 altima with the same engine, the alternator is the tensioned. There is a pivot to loosen, and you let the slack off by moving the alternator back.

My model has 1 belt for water pump alternator and power steering, and one for A/C.

Goldf>I figure the hellish screeching coming from under my hood is my

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

See, I would think the same belt controlled the alternator and the A/C because the same screeching continues for a while if I turn the A/C on. If I have the A/C on right after I leave the parking lot the screeching starts each time I begin moving after every traffic light or stop sign for a good while.

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Goldfinger7967