99 Elantra Transmission Problem

Hello,

All of a sudden this morning my sister's 99 Elantra transmission will not shift into reverse. Also the transmission will not shift out of first gear. Last night when she came home everything was fine with the car. The check engine light has not come on yet, but I will try to read the codes off and see if there are any codes that are stored in the ECU. I will also drain and fill the transmission fluid and see if that helps, but it wasn't due for the 30k fluid change for another 10k miles. Does it appear that the transmission is shot? I was also reading that it could be something to do with the vehicle speed senor, but wouldn't that throw the check engine light?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
nick

Please diagnose before doing any repair.

It seems wise to check for pending diagnostic trouble codes.

You can check the fluid by looking at it on the dipstick and spreading a few drops on a white paper towel. If it is transparent, is not dark and does not smell burnt, I am prone to believe the fluid is not the culprit.

Once I thought I had a serious transmission problem: it was nothing more than a worn rubber bushing that links the wire that comes from the shift stick to the transmission lever! It does not seem to be your case.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jean Castonguay

Don't change the fluid. If it's good enough to drive the car forward, it's good enough to drive it in reverse. Simply check the level and make sure it's correct. If so, you should check the range switch and shift cable to be sure you're actually shifting the transmission into reverse and that the TCM is aware it's been shifted to reverse. If all the above is as it should be, then you'll need a transmission replacement or overhaul.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I check the errors and P0732 Gear 2 ratio incorrect came up. Also I tried moving the shifter down slowing into reverse and towards neutral and the car did not shift into reverse at all.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
nick

P0732 basically indicates that the transmission is slipping in 2nd gear. This supports the theory that you'll need major transmission work.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for the help hyundaitech. With the cost of fixing the transmission and the mileage due for a timing belt, my sister has opted to get a new car.

Reply to
nick