A quick easy way of getting another 1 mpg + (HyundaiTech : Your opinion please..)

On my 1998 Chevy Cargo Van, I took off the fresh air hose for the filter box so it takes in warm engine compartment air instead of cooler fresh air (I measured approx. 82 f. incoming engine air on a 70 f day) . Ive ran two tanks of fuel thus far and each showed a 1.5 mpg increase. Im currently trying the same thing on my 2002 Hyundia SantaFe , 2.7 litre...and will report my findings after a couple of tank fillups. It appears that the engine computer adjusts the fuel mixture leaner when it senses warmer incoming air ; HyundiaTech : What are your thoughts on this ? thanks.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

"It appears that the engine computer adjusts the fuel mixture leaner when it senses warmer incoming air...."

Yep. That's why people looking for more power stuff the air intake as far away from the engine compartment as they can-- it results in richening the fuel mixture.

As far as the actual fuel economy increase, I cannot say as I have any way to support the notion.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

REPLY: Thanks for that confirmation. Since i dont use my 2002 Hyundai on the Drag Strip trying to get a couple tenths of a second better... I dont mind pulling the cold air intake and getting better fuel economy. So far in the Work Van, its working out well. We shall see how it goes in the Hyundai SantaFe.

Reply to
IlBeBauck