Opinion Please...

Can someone here give me an opinion of this vett. I have looked at it, and it is as advertised, just not sure about the price

Thanks

nada

For a few items,

front brakes are leaking.

chassis covered in oil/grease indicating it was just an old car with fresh paint and interior. Don't let the top side pretty make you miss the real life "used car" aspect of this car.

300 hp is not that big of a deal being original engine, as they were usually not the cars blown up racing.

Tom In Missouri

Hey guys, how often do you or have you changed the antifreeze in yer Vette?

Reply to
John Smith

$12,000 is more typical for a standard hp car. Remember that engine and transmission is unknown, so unless you can do the work yourself, you have to budget in a 50/50 chance that either then engine or trans or both need to be rebuilt. An auto trans is a real unknown. Make sure the trans fluid looks clean and it shifts smoothly. Again, on a car this old, engine or trans may need to be rebuilt.

Vito

Uncle_vito

All possibilities exist in a car off e-bay. From the pictures it does appear to be an extremely "nice" looking car, but I also know plenty of detailers that can make a bucket of bolts look good for at least a Photo Shoot.

My issue has always been buying cars like this from so-called "Classic Car" specialty dealers. You are almost always going to pay to much. With the current bid of 16K not hitting the reserve yet I'd suspect that it is over-priced given today's market (People really are spending much disposable income).

If you do elect to bid on it, contact the seller first & make sure they will allow you to either perform an in-person inspection, or order an independent one prior to the transferring of funds. As Vito said it could be a Pretty-Face with rotten guts (Engine & Tranny).

Zomby-Woof

Thanks for the information....This is a local car so I did look at it, and it looks as good in person as the photos make it to be, also, this is a local collector/dealer with a pretty good reputation, that aside, I did bid to 16k, but no higher, as this will be my first and not really wanting to spend a ton, as I can get a 96 in this area with around 50k on it in the area of 13,000 or so, so with that in mind, what are the opinions of this one, it is also local, and looks good in person, no smoking, tyranny shifted fine and dealer will do a 90 day warranty. One thing I did notice, when you drop it from park into drive, the rear end seems to drop down a little...is this normal?

Thanks Again

nada

Well you are NOT going to get the car for $16,000 ... close but not enough for a coupe with the base engine and an automatic. ... Yes especially if the idel speed it on the high side..

Bob G.

64 72 & 98 Verts 76 & 79 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

REPLY: It appears to be priced a bit on the high side, but, if it is as clean as it looks and the writeup is accurate, then Ill bet it will sell for close to $16 k. The writeup was certainly first class and the pictures very well done.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

How often do you, have you, or should you change the antifreeze in a Vette?

Reply to
John Smith

That's easy, when it looks like mud and moves like mud, on the other hand I do it when the pH gets below 8. Actually when it does look bad it may be just that, looks are a good first indicator. If its color doesn't look much like it does in it's original container it's time to start checking it out or change it.

Reply to
Dad