Any word on that 2008 truck?

I remember reading here a while back that Hyundai has been working on a truck as well as some other models (muscle car?). Just curious if there are any updates worth checking out. TIA!

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

I dunno, but the platforms are there. The Sonata platform would make a nice Tacoma-sized truck, which I will be needing to replace my aging Toyota.

I think I read something 2-3 weeks ago that Hyundai was planning a truck. So the rumors persist! -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

So far I like the changes I've seen in the Santa Fe in the 2006 & now the 2007 model. Hyundai seems to be bulking up the size a tad to not make it seem so dwarfed next to the other large SUvs. I just hope the don't go the Toyota route and make a niche of a couple of their models just to placate the "me too" SUV crowd. I like that Hyundai has kept things roomy in their line of cars without getting too insane with needing to make thing larger. A truck would certainly round out their line but I think they should stay far away from their plans to put out a muscle car. Dodge and Mustang have that market more or less cornered.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Ehhhh... I think you're right. Make the Tibby RWD and put an Azera 3.8 in it, and you have a mean little machine. Not a muscle car, but no slouch either.

I would like to see a sport Sonata with beefed-up suspension, sport gage package, sport seats, body kit, Azera 3.8, and optional 6-speed manual or snappier shifting 5 speed auto. I think they could sell it for $26K, and it would hold its own with $35-$45K sports sedans. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

There is certainly a market in which Hyundai can compete and win. All these rumors flying about that Hyundai is going to can their 100k warranties is garbage. If they stick with what works and make it better, they'll win hands down.

They definitely need to be cautious and not too overly ambitious with their efforts. I mean, remember the Sonata design change from a few years ago? It bombed pretty badly. When they stuck to the design that looked like the older Jaguars, people kept buying them. Not too sure how the '06 or '07 Sonata's are doing but they seem to look more like Chevy's angular design than the sleek and curvy designs of a few years ago. I see more of them on my drive to work lately so either people skipped the '06 altogether and are buying the '07s, or are buying the '06 at a deeper discount.

I'm curious to see if the Hyundai truck winds up looking like an Avalanche or Land Cruiser. Any bets?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Just bought an '07.Very close to the '07 in style. If they stayed with the older '05 lines, I'd not be driving a Hyundai. IMO, it was ugly. Elantra is border line OK, the new model seems to be a bit better from what I see in pictures..

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski