broken timing belt

My son's 1996 accent broke its timing belt while he was backing up in the driveway. Is the engine definatelty damaged?

Reply to
kennym

Only his hairdresser knows for sure. It's an interference engine so the likelihood of damage is pretty high, but at low rpm's - well, maybe he'll be lucky. The only real way to know it to have it looked at by a shop - or by yourself if you're capable. No one can really tell you without looking at it, for sure.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm curious, how many miles since last belt change? He probably doesn't know. That's why it broke.

- Mooron

Reply to
Mooron

Definitely, no, highly probably, yes.

With any luck, you just need to remove the head and replace the valves and valve guides. Without luck, you may have to replace the entire head and a piston and rod or two, and possibly bore the block oversize.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

How many miles are on it?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Hmm, no response. I guess we'll never know how many miles it takes to break a timing belt.

- Mooron

Reply to
Mooron

It's @ 110,000 miles +/-

Reply to
Screwtape III

and only the hairdresser would know the +- ;)

Reply to
news