"Check Engine" Light Came On. What Could It Be?

Hi, I have an old 1991 Hyundai Excel. The engine light came on during the last 1/2 mile on my way home last night. What engine parts could be screwed up? Would the light be telling me I have a problem with low oil or low water or would that have it's own designated light icon?

Reply to
Pamela G.

Could be a lot of things. Did you just get gas? If so, the gas cap may be loose and that can give a signal. If that is the culprit, it will take about 15 or 20 starts to go away after tightening the cap.

Oxygen sensors go bad also. Very common cause. To know for sure, you have to use a computer for readout of hte information. The car is still drivable as is, but there may be long term effects if you don't get it check out soon to know for sure what the problem is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This happens to me all the time after getting gas if I don't tighten the cap enough.

('99 Accent GSI)

Goes off after a few days fo driving after tightening the cap.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho