timing belt

hi, i recently bought a 2003 accent with 98,000 miles. i don't know the history on the car but i'm wondering what is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt? and is it costly?

Reply to
timbuck2
60,000 and yes.

Reply to
Rob

ok i guess i better get moving on that. maybe i can ask santa for help. thanks Rob

Reply to
timbuck2

It's actually not very costly nor very difficult as timing belt jobs go. Shop around in your area and you should be able to find a good price. But be certain that a name brand belt is used if you decide to go aftermarket. I've seen some really bad drive belts out there, and the idea that the timing belts could be just as bad really scares me.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Is it every 60,000 KM?

My 99 accent has crossed 140,000 KM, and timing belt was last changed at around 100,000. Will I need to change again when it reaches 160,000 K

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
ab sell

It is changed at 60,000 MILE intervals, or about 100,000 KM.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

..and also isn't it four years for warranty purposes? I remember long threads about this in the past.

Reply to
jtees4

is changing the timing belt covered under the warranty ? or only if it goes?

Reply to
timbuck2 via CarKB.com

ok thanks for your help.

Reply to
timbuck2 via CarKB.com

Considered normal maintenance so you pay. If it goes before 60k, they should repair the engine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ok thanks Edwin

Reply to
timbuck2 via CarKB.com

That's correct. It's four years or 60k miles, whichever comes first.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yeah, grrr, I had my wifes elantras changed at 4 years.......23k miles.

OTOH its garaged and still has the new car smell !

Reply to
Michael

What about after the first belt change? Is it every 4 years/60K for subsequent changes? So, would Hyundai repair my engine if the belt breaks at

105K, and it had already been changed once?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
Capt. Courageous

The belts are good for 60,000 miles according to Gates and most other belt makers.

Once the original warranty is expired, there is no reason for Hyundai to fix anything. At 99,000 miles, yes, at 101,000, no.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski