Eco mode

Anyone using it? Notice much difference?

For anyone not familiar with it, Hyundai added "Eco Mode" to their cars a model or two ago. It is supposed to add as much as 7% to your fuel mileage. It lowers the shift points, closes the fuel when coasting and desensitizes the accelerator a bit.

I drove the first 3000 miles in Eco mode and the performance is very acceptable, as is the fuel economy. I decided to try not using it to see the difference. There is very little.

Most of my driving is light city and highway. Tank to tank, I get about the same 27 to 28 mpg with the 2.0Turbo engine. My V-6 on the last Sonata was usually about 2 mpg less.

So far, this tank is in the 28 to 29 mpg range in standard mode.

The type of driving must make a difference, but so far, I'm not seeing the advantage and it may even be a disadvantage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The last few cars I rented all had eco mode. It looks like some work better than others. Probably depends a lot on driving habits and aerodynamics. The Ford Focus in eco mode got around 35 mpg average for a 800 mile trip. Mostly at 75+ mph. The Kia Soul in eco had a 550 mile average of 25 mpg. The Kia had significantly more power than the Focus but was about as aerodynamic as a shoe box.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I find it to be a great advantage at the right speeds.

Most notably around 43-45mph (most of my driving range) when it shifts into 6th and drops to about 1150 rpm. Out of Eco at the same speed I'm hitting 17-1800 rpm and consuming more fuel. I find that I get like you,

27-29 mpg in Eco but only 22-23 out of it.

Out of Eco I don't hit 6th until I reach highway speeds but with a steady pedal at those speeds l still see lower R's in eco.

Reply to
B R U C E

Big difference in RPM for you. I've not noticed much change, but I'll have to experiment. At 50 - 70 (almost half of my driving) it seems to make little difference. At 70, I'm at 2000 rpm either way.

I also go through a valley, down one side, up the other. I can go down at 85 - 95 and actually see the mileage improve a bit down the hill, but I lose some going up even tough most is coasting back to legal speed. When I got home today, it was reading 31.5 mpg. At one point yesterday it was up to 35.8. My 24 mile ride home has more down than up. If I drive around town, it quickly comes back to the 27+ range.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski