Elantra 2005 or 2006?

I am thinking seriously about replacign my 99 Accent with a new Elantra. The question I have is over buying a 2005 or 2006. I haven't seen a report that there is a difference so I'm asking. Is ther anything that would tip the scale either way?

thanks, nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

Jody

Reply to
nothermark

The Elantra 5-door has large trunk, enough to carry a few computers. With the seats folded down, it's huge inside. If you pull the rear seat cushion up and forward before folding the seat backs down, it creates a flat floor. I routinely carry bicyles and kayaking gear in mine.

That would be a VERY expensive way to go.

That makes more sense.

It's only 6 years old and all it needs is $500 worth of work, so why would you not fix it? Even if you were going to sell it, you'd be better off to fix it first.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody

It's got 100,000 mi on it, is starting to rust, needs the rotors and belts replaced and is probably worth about $500 as a tradein. A new elantra would get me more room, better access, heated mirrors, cruise, etc. $500 would get the Accent through inspection but it would take another $500 to $1000 to clean it up. I will also need the timing belt and tires again. Then there is the 6 yr old, 100,000 mi "what's next" factor. If I had a choice I would keep it and buy something else for backup but that would cause a major domestic issue. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

As a former Subaru owner I can say I'm not impressed with their engine design. They copied the VW bug engine too closely. OTOH, they make a great body.

Reply to
Screwtape III

Reply to
Jody

I hear ya'. Considering that with minimal maintenance, it will probably last at least another 50K mile, it sounds like a good candidate to become a "winter car", if you live in an area with "real" winters. I'll bet you can do better on it price-wise if you sell it yourself. FWIW, I recently sold a '94 Excel with 175K miles and in need of front wheel bearings for $300. It was bought by a woman who's husband is a mechanic.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Small wagons are highly practical, and hard to find :(.

The Ford Focus wagon might work for you.

Reply to
John Horner

Also check Subaru Forester and Mazda (whatever their small wagon is).

Reply to
hyundaitech