Help, please?

Let me first admit that I am not familiar with auto mechanics lingo so I will express the problem(s) I am having the best that I can.

I have a 1995 Sonata, 6 Cylinder. I have had it about a year. It was a gift from a family member whom had the car about 2 years. It has had an oil leak since my sister first bought it stemming from the main seal which we have been told would be cheaper to replace the motor than to fix that problem. I had an oil change for the first time since I have had the car(yes, I know I am bad) and now there is some clear fluid mixed with a small amount of dark substance( I am guessing maybe oil...?) leaking from the muffler and it is smoking from there as well, worse than it originally had before the oil change. I am looking for any advice as to what the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
shelspray

Replacing the rear main seal is a labor intensive repair, but I can't fathom it would cost more than replacing the engine.

Check your oil level to be sure it's not overfilled. This can cause the smoking you describe. The clear fluid and dark substance may be water and carbon, which would be normal. The V6 engine in this car is known for having valve stem seal leakage issues, and for sometimes dropping a valve guide, allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber and resulting in smoke from exhaust, particularly on initial startup or when idling for a significant period of time.

None of these things will be cheap to repair (unless your oil is overfilled) and may well approach or be more than the value of the vehicle.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech2" wrote: > Replacing the rear main seal is a labor intensive repair, but > I can't > fathom it would cost more than replacing the engine. > > Check your oil level to be sure it's not overfilled. This can > cause the > smoking you describe. The clear fluid and dark substance may > be water and > carbon, which would be normal. The V6 engine in this car is > known for > having valve stem seal leakage issues, and for sometimes > dropping a valve > guide, allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber and > resulting in smoke > from exhaust, particularly on initial startup or when idling > for a > significant period of time. > > None of these things will be cheap to repair (unless your oil > is > overfilled) and may well approach or be more than the value of > the > vehicle.

Thank you so much for the quick response I appreciate your advice and such. Thanks again!

Reply to
shelspray