Horn suddenly not working on 2011 Sonata

2011 Sonata GLS auto trans. 11,000 miles For no apparent reason, my horn stopped working yesterday. Anybody had this problem? 2 local dealers have not heard of this. I looked at the fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel, but it's a solid black box type fuse, so I can't see if it's burnt out.
Reply to
Wade

The car is under warranty - let the dealer fix it.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Since they have not heard of it, they are not fixing it? The dealer you bought it from should be happy to honor the warranty.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They didn't say they wouldn't fix it, I simply asked if they had this issue come up before now. I was scheduled to take it to a dealer on Monday, but yesterday, guess what, the horn is working normally now. So ..... I wonder what's going on. I did pull the fuse and put it back in, but it still did not work until the next day.

Reply to
Wade

In my opinion, Hyundai horns have been junk for many years. It's one of the components that doesn't seem to have caught up with the parts quality improvements. No sound or intermittent, the problem is almost always the horn itself (or both horns if you have two).

Reply to
hyundaitech

So I guess I will have to wait until the horn goes out again before I can take it to the dealer, right? They won't replace it under warranty if I say it was not working the other day, right?

Reply to
Wade

? "Wade" wrote

Probably right. What do you replace when everything works? If not working, simple test for power to the horn, etc. can find the culprit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It'll depend on the dealer, how well they know you, and how readily their technicians know that the horn is a common failure point.

For me, if I'm convinced there's no issue of operator error, and there's no evidence counter to a horn failure, I'd have no problem replacing the horn with managerial approval. If you come in reporting that the horn doesn't work only when the pad is depressed in certain areas, then it's rather obvious replacing the horn won't fix the issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

thanks for the input. the two local dealer service departments I have spoken to, don't have a clue about any horn failures, so I sort of think I will have to wait until or if it goes out again. any ideas on replacing it with a louder aftermarket? what do you think about the following one? the length and width will fit I think, but haven't checked closely on the depth which is about 3 inches.

my brother has a 2011 Sonata Limited, he took his car to a 3rd area dealer recently. when he mentioned the horn issue, they too did not know of any horn failures. interesting though, they pointed out that some Sonatas have two horns. I see that my GLS has one horn. Could it be only the Limited's have two horns?

Could the horn from the Genesis or the new Equus be a better louder horn??

Reply to
Wade

Nearly all the Hyundai horns are basically the same. Differences tend to be the shape of the electrical connector and whether they have an air horn attached to make a more "American" sound.

My limited experience with aftermarkets is that they aren't necessarily any more reliable than the factory, but that when they do fail, they tend to not work ever again. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks again. The Richmond dealer parts guy told me today too, the horns are pretty much the same with the exception being the brackets are model specific. He told me there ARE two horns in front, one is smack dab in the center behind the grill, the other is underneath or behind? the right headlamp assembly, it may not be visible. There is a third horn, which is for the alarm system, it is mounted on the side of the right front strut tower. I don't think this is the one he was referring to under the headlamp, surely not. I have not checked yet, it snowed today. I am not particularly pleased you have to remove the front bumper to get to the horns. The horns on my '99 Accord were super easy to access, between the grille and radiator, no need to remove anything else.

Reply to
Wade

The ones behind the grill are often accessible from underneath. Of course, the ability to put the vehicle on a lift makes this much easier than doing it on the ground. The 2006-2010 had one under the left headlamp. I've replaced a few by removing the headlamp. It wasn't particularly easy, but I didn't see an easier way. Not sure about access for the 2011.

Reply to
hyundaitech