Diesel Pickup Truck

I know that Kia and therefore Hyundai scrubbed their plans for a pickup truck for the US market. Has anyone seen the Mahindra pickup due to hit the market the first of next year? I think Kia/Hyundai screwed up big time. Not only is the Mahindra one heck of a work truck but it's also a diesel with 300 foot-pounds of torque, 6 speed automatic, 2 or 4 wheel drive, 2 seat or crew cab, 2700 pound payload capacity, and 30+ mpg. This is also forcing the hand of all the other automakers to rush a small diesel pickup to market. Should be interesting.

Reply to
631grant

I lived for 4 years in the Philippines and I don't think there is a single gas engine truck sold there except for the Ford? There are many Asian makers of diesel trucks and cars that don't market in the US probably because of the strict safety standards. Phil

Reply to
news

Terrible marketing decision!

Everyone I ask would be interested in a compact diesel pickup. The only reason people buy Tacoma is because it's the best of a bad group of trucks. Colorado and Ranger are unreliable, Tacoma and Frontier are too soft to be used as a work truck. A tough little diesel similar to a 90's Toyota would sell like hotcakes.

Kia's pickup was more Tundra/F150 sized, and like an SUV with a bed. It would have sold if a diesel were available at the right price, but what would really would have sold was a Tacoma sized diesel.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Yea, you're right. A Tacoma diesel would be a winner, especially if it matched the massive payload capacity and the 6 speed transmission. You're also right about the Colorado. I own one, unfortunately, but NEVER AGAIN. What a piece of junk. The only problem I've ever experienced with Toyota is the horrible way they run their dealerships. Forcing you to go through the showroom and be accosted by salespeople. Forbidden to go on the lot without a salesperson. Refusal to haggle over price, which is overpriced.....

Reply to
631grant

I came pretty close to buying a Colorado. They're very attractive trucks. I ended up getting a Tacoma by default.

Just think if Kia would produce a truck as rugged as the 90's Toyota, but just a tad bigger with a modern 150hp Diesel!

Come on Kia! Put that soft looking concept truck away and make a great little diesel work truck! Let Hyundai market the cowboy limousine!

Reply to
Bob Adkins