Re: how come new VW's appear to be junk?

Seems to be a few general problems with the A4-body-type VW's and VW's in general in North America; namely, window actuator assemblies, relatively poor instrumentation reliability, a dealership network considered to be of lower quality, and a few other engine-specific issues such as intake clogging/EGR clogging (TDI engines), oil consumption (2.0L engines), and coilpacks (1.8T engines, V6 engines to a lesser extent).

The much malaligned window actuator assemblies were formerly constructed out failure-prone plastic, but these parts have been redesigned to use much stronger metal components. The fix has been fitted to later-production

2002's, and all 2003's, and is retrofittable, often free of charge, into earlier models.

Instrumentation issues consist mainly of, but not entirely limited to, MAF's (Mass Airflow Sensors), and basically all the VW engine designs have issues. Do not know if this has been fixed yet; there are options for higher-reliabilty aftermarket replacements, however, these have not been sanctioned by the factory. Lots, and lots of other instruments wired into the ECU as well -- the sheer multitude used in VW's (as compared with other makes) makes them a target for failure.

The dealership network, it seems, hasn't invested properly in technician training, and this is especially prevalent when dealing with some of the more lesser-sold engine types (ie: TDI, W8, etc, etc.). Also, there seems to be a reimbursement structure in place between VW Corporate and the dealership network which actively encourages the dealers to cut corners when performing warranty service, or to outright deny warranty service altogether on deficiencies that are deemed to be minor. VW shouldn't be obligated to replace wear and tear items that have been abused....but an old grandma shouldn't stand accused of being abusive to her VW with 20k miles on it because the brake pads were defective to begin with, hence their premature failure.

The other issues I've mentioned are specific to invididual types of engines. The diesels clog up -- there is an aftermarket computer modification which can make this a virtual non-issue. The oil consumption problems were real and led to quite a bit of dissatisfaction -- a year old car shouldn't burn any oil, nevermind a quart every thousand or two miles. The coilpacks were outright defective, a source of huge frustration, but they were defective models and VW has fixed them.

One thing to keep in mind -- do you honestly believe you'd have less problems had you purchased a low-end BMW, Mercedes or Audi? Probably not -- they're manufactured with quite similar failure-prone parts. And if you compare VW's with Japanese or American cars....you must consider that nearly every VW sold is 'fully loaded' by American standards -- power windows, built-in alarm system, all the bells and whistles.. So..much more stuff to fail.

One last thing -- don't let anyone, or any dealer tell you that VW's sell for what the sticker or the website says. Such claims are totally ridiculous; sales for VW aren't very good lately and though they will try every salesman trick in the book, you shouldn't buy one unless you're paying well under sticker. Well under.

I know you people will probbly take this personally...but i gotta > point this out > > I have noticed nothing but people bitching and complaining about > "check engine lights". My brother is shopping for a new car, and he > looked into a book called "lemon-aid" . It points out that new VW's > are nothing but junk. Everyone i know with a new VW, has nothing but > problems with them. I am a loyal VW fan, but i think that VW are not > what they used to be. And the prices are terrible. Anyone have any > idea of when VW is gonna address all the problems with their current > cars, and release a VW that doesnt have any problems? >
Reply to
ztip guy

Yah, i could do that. But i am not conerned with other manufacturers, i am concerned with VW.

Troll??? you are RPG nerd or soemthing? hahaha

Reply to
dontbeleivethis

Personally, and this is my opinion, I think all the manufacturers , doesn't matter if it's gm,ford,honda,vw,whatever, don't have a choice but to build cars today with different standards in mind. I worked on a 98 buick 3.8 engine that blew the intake gasket at 120,000km's this week. To me (and this is a well known problem with this engine) this should not happen on a car that is so new. If you look at the gasket (made of plastic) it is if GM intentionally made it to break. I asked myself why gm made it this way. Is it cheaper to make? Maybe , but the gasket cost was double any V-6 I have ever seen.Is it lighter? Probably, it's made of plastic after all. Did GM make it cheap so they pop and take out engines? I'd say so, but they won't admit it of course. I think if you break down the components used in today's cars, they aren't the same components that were used in the older cars, and certainly aren't as complex either. My a2 doesn't have a check engine light, that's why I own it.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

The name identifies this as a friendly, if misguided, troll. While I am sure some will enjoy his humor, but some will fall for it. It is just not a good idea.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would say the book your brother is looking at is not quite up-to-date. Yes, there have been some persistent specific issues with specific VW models. VW has fixed many of them and is working on others. Someone else already mentioned window regulators (fixed); there also was a widely-publicized problem with coil packs on some of engines that probably was not as bad as it seemed, but was made worse by VW's relative lack of PR ability and an inability to source enough replacement parts to resolve the problem quickly. I would say the 2003 A4 Golf/Jetta/Beetle have most of the problems ironed out.

I don't say this because I'm a VW mouthpiece (I'm not); I say it because cars are orders of magnitude more complex than they were even ten years ago. And VW is not the only one with problems. Look how many times Ford has had to recall the Focus. Even Toyota had to recall Camrys (twice in 2002) and Honda had to recall Odyssey minivans.

Speaking as the owner of two A4 Jettas (a 99.5 sedan traded for an

03 Wagon), I had some problems. None of them stranded me on the road. All the problems I had on the 99.5 were fairly common to VWs of that year and, AFAI can tell, they've been fixed on the 03.

As for the price, VW has included what a lot of other manufacturers charge extra for -- or don't even offer. I didn't have to option out four-wheel-disc ABS brakes, side airbags, window/curtain airbags, an engine immobilizer (part of the anti-theft system), a CD player, cruise control, heated mirrors, tilt/tel wheel, and an interior that is regarded in the industry as "best in class." A friend of mine bought a 2002 Nissan Sentra. It came with a CD player; everything else on that list isn't on that model or just doesn't come on Sentras at all. Sure, she paid less than I did for my Jetta (the cheapest Wagon they sell). But she _got_ less, too.

Look, it's a choice you make. I've owned VWs before and know that they're not appliances you simply gas up and lube. VWs demand some attention. However, they reward that attention with a feeling of quality and performance that other cars in their range don't match. You (or your brother) gotta buy what suits you. I did.

sd

Reply to
sd

Following the suggestion in your user ID, I don't.

Reply to
John Miller

Yes, actually I spoke with Herr Pischetsrieder the other day. He said VW does plan to address the popular conception that their cars are junk by shifting ALL VW production to Mexico by the year 2005. He said, "If you think our cars are junk now just wait til 2005!"

CCM '02 Eurovan

Reply to
Fukuzai

Troll......

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Troller whined:

If you get your opinions from the lemonaid book, then you should not be posting at an automotive NG; you should go straight to a medical one, I would suggest perhaps a psychiatric NG. Phil Edmunston (IMO an opinionated, self-promoting SOB, and I don't use the term lightly) has always had it in for VW; he can't say a good thing about them. You're much farther ahead with consumers reports, and that's saying something.

As far as things breaking on the newer more sophisticated models goes

- does anyone remember the "good" old days of rusting fenders, bumpers, radiators, thermostats and exhaust valves, endless fiddling with carburetors, optional courtesy lights, 2-speed trannies, solid axles with leaf springs, grease jobs, and last but not least, those wonderful GM oil filter canisters that weighed at least 10 lb, and spilled hot oil all over the unfortunate mechanic's helper (that would be yours truly) every time. The list goes on.

So stop your bitching.

H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

Maybe it's because they're all Canadians, like you.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

It's true, everyone I know has problems with their new VWs, and they have all been traced to the drivers being Canadian. And I believe everything I read.

Jeffo, '91 Golf - Ying '72 Land Cruiser - Yang

Reply to
Jeffo

Very well written. Thank you. I own a 2008 R32, about $10,000 in repairs around the 100,000 mile mark. But am still driving it and I love it.

Reply to
PL

!
Reply to
PeterD

Nine years ago, pre-Facebook, when Google Groups was merely the DejaNews archive with a better search function, this place had all the action. Back then I replaced a motor mount on my Jetta, on a slightly inclined street parking spot, with the help of tips I got from this group. Today all I had to do was replace a blower fan - with a locking tab I broke taking it out of the box, d'oh!

kelly - '86 Jetta GLI, 352K miles and counting....

Reply to
Kelly Humphries

What drew you to this conclusion? What is "unreal" about the current Passat?

Reply to
WindsorFo

I was talking about what's available in the US.

The car sold as a Passat in the US bears no resemblance to the Passat sold in most of the rest of the world. The "real" Passat continues to be made and sold elsewhere.

Along those same lines, my own car, the "Jetta" Sportwagen, is actually a Golf, and is sold under that name everywhere else.

Reply to
Bert

How about earlier to 2003? For example, comparing my '88 Cabriolet to the 2003 models, and maybe comparing against the newest offering that is compatible?

Reply to
PeterD

Ah I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.

Not if it's a 2012 AFAIK. I've read that the Jetta became it's own platform with the MKVI and it is bigger than the Golf, which was was a basis for my Passat question as it has grown over the previous version as well. This is quite the experience for me as the first German/European car I've ever owned.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Mechanically I don't know, but aesthetically and in terms of accessories and such I can say I remember LOLing at the first Rabbit Vert and that huge wad of canvass packed up on the back deck when the top was down.

Reply to
WindsorFo

The 2012 and 2013 Jetta wagon sold in the US are still the Golf Variant sold elsewhere.

I don't think anything's going to change until 2014, and even then it will still be based on the Golf, but in the new MQB modular architecture.

Various rumors floating around have it changing its name somehow, and the inclusion of an Alltrack all-wheel drive version.

Of course, there's always the persistent rumor that VW will stop selling it altogether, just like most other makers stopped selling their wagons in the US.

Reply to
Bert