New owner of a 2009 Sonata..

Not sure why I bought this, other than the heavily depreciated price of a used vehicle and the way it drove which was nice, not as nice as my old trade-in Chrysler but nice indeed. My dealer overpaid me on my trade-in for a car (2004 Sebring, 177 000 Km) that had frame issues and a massive timing chain repair bill due soon

No issues with it this first week of driving. It's a GL premium. Fit and finish are impressive, certainly ahead of the American Malibu and Fusion which were tops on my list of vehicles to buy but tough to locate at my price range. Exterior black paint seems low grade quality but this is an ex-rental car and they must have washed the paint poorly. The car salesman will be compensating me for my companplaints on the paint.

Handles nice, drives nice. First time in over 12 years I've driven a 4 cyl. These engines have improved. Direct injection! Comfortable, tastefully appointed, safety, excellent braking smooth shifting, nice interior lighting. Shitty stereo sound but that XM garbage seems okay and at least the buttons are nice and well designed and lit. But a stereo is the last thing I car about in a car. Ipod docking station is nice touch. Heated seats, leather wrapped shifter and steering wheel are nice touches. A/C works wonderfully.

What a great used car. I'm very pleased with it. I would never buy one of these brand new unless it was with cash. These cars lose their value quickly and depreciate alot but Hyundai built a good car here. It's my first import car I've owned ever and I'm impressed. I think I got Honda type car for American manufacturer type pricing.

I was really after a V6 Fusion but since the American companies stopped leasing, the used car pricing on American cars has gone up because there are fewer of them available. The Sonata, used car price wise, fit the bill, and I'm damn glad I bought it.

And yes, I'm spreading the word about Hyundai now...

Reply to
The Henchman

"The Henchman" wrote

One of the new Hyundai commercials brags about the high quality of the paint. Could be that black is a tougher color to keep or it was damaged by the rental company wash machines and chemicals. My '07 was silver blue, my '10 is dark cherry and I'm impressed at the quality and depth of color. We'll see in a few more years.

Depreciation was a consideration, but if you trade it for another Hyundai, you will get a decent trade from my experience. Most times I drive a car until it is ready for the scrap yard so depreciation means nothing that way. More important, you save quite a bit on the front end. To get the same features my Sonata has in a different brand, I'd have to spend an additional $5000+.

Glad you're happy. Some models have the Infinity stereo and decent sound. The fit of body panels is better than my Buicks, the fuel economy and performance are both better (3.3l V-6). IMO, it is one of the best value for an automobile around.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My daughter just purchased a similar 2009 Kia Optima LX. Got it for a SERIOUSLY good price. She is downright giddy over everything in that car, from Sirius Satellite (which was operational), to the space, to the smooth and efficient 4-cylinder engine, everything about it.

And like you, she was afraid it would cost thousands more to get close to what she got.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt