New Tucson Purchase - Attn: Hyundaitech

Hyundaitech has been extremely helpful to everyone on this forum, including my occasional question relating to our 2006 Elantra.

We are considering the purchase of a new Tucson to add to the Elantra. My fundamental question relates to the maintenance cost differential between the Beta II 4-cylinder engine in the GLS and the Delta V6 in the Limited. Each use a timing belt, thus I presume the cost to replace the belt(s) in the V6 is quite a bit more costly.

Any input on the pros and cons (other than the obvious torque differential with the V6) on either engine with the 4-speed automatic would be greatly appreciated. And, any other inputs would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Don Allen

Most maintenance will be the same. The two obvious differences I can think of are the timing belt you've already mentioned and the tune up.

You should expect to pay an additional hour labor or so to replace the timing belt on the V6, so that's not too big a deal. The real killer is the tune up. The plenum must be removed to replace the spark plugs on the V6. Expect another 2 or so hours of labor for the tune up (in addition to the additional two plugs and a plenum gasket). Of course, the good news is that this occurs only every 60k (or four years), so it's not all that frequent, either.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank you sir.

Reply to
Don Allen

timing BELT?? BELT?? on a V-6?? thought Hyundai had gotten over that!! ?

Reply to
Deck

The Sonata and Azera 3.6 and 3.8 are chains. I checked hmaservice.com and they show belts for the Tucson.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Honda hasn't either - ask those who drive an Odyssey. My brother dumped his Odyssey because of belt replacements.

Reply to
Don Allen