2006 Elantra Warranty Question

We just recently purchased a 2006 Elantra GLS 4-door sedan, and I have a quick question on the warranty that perhaps someone could answer, hyundaitech?? I will check with the dealer's Service Department on this as well.

In carefully reading the warranty booklet, it states that within the 5 year/60,000 limited warranty period that "normal wear" items such as belts are not covered under the warranty. When reading the section on the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it states, among other items, that all internal engine components, timing chains, etc. are covered under the warranty.

OK . . . here is my question, since the Elantra uses a Gilmer reinforced rubber timing belt, and not a chain per se, is the timing belt covered under either the 5 year/60,000 limited warranty or the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, or is it only covered for 12 months/12,000 miles as "normal wear" items are covered? If the latter is the case, I'm concerned. Why, because if it should fail after

12,000 miles, and engine damage results due to the engine's interference design, it most likely would void the covereage of engine internals (pistons, valves) covered under the powertrain warranty.

Please excuse me for my specificity, but I'm trying to read this warranty information from a legal perspective, and carefully looking at all the verbage and its implications.

Reply to
Don

The timing belt is covered up to 60K miles, at which point the warranty requires that it be changed. It is considered a maintenance item and the replacement cost is not covered. Once the belt has been replaced, it is covered against failure for the balance of the 100K mile powertrain warranty.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The reason for the question is that I HAVE looked in my 2006 Owner's Manual and the Owner's Handbook which describes the various warranties - somewhat vaguely I might add. The Owner's Manual specifically states to refer to the Owner's Handbook, i.e. warranty info for this information. It says nothing about a warranty on the "timing belt," only a "timing chain" or "timing gear." Thus, I feel the question asked in good faith was a valid one.

Nevertheless, thanks for the info, as I have received conflicting answers from a number of people, including the local dealer. They stated the timing belt is considered a "belt" (a normal wear and tear item as per the Owner's Handbook), thus it is only warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles. Therefore, you can understand my confusion regarding this.

I take very good care of my vehicles and will most likely perform maintenance on a number of things, such as coolant changes, prior to the specified time or mileage anyway.

Don

Reply to
Don Allen

The dealer is either misinformed or lying. The timing belt IS covered, as is any damage relating to a timing belt failure, provided that you change it at 60K miles as specified in the Maintenance Log. The likelihood of a problem is very low, so dont' stress over it. You know your rights under the warranty, so you can defend them if necessary.

I would be very cautious about that dealer and would not accept anything they say at face value. At best, they're misinformed and at worst, they're crooks. Check into everything, know your rights and responsibilities, and immediately go to Hyundai directly if you have any questions, concerns or problems with them or their advise. Hyundai is a VERY responsive company and they take customer satisfaction seriously.

All Hyundai cares about is that maintenance is performed according the to specified schedule with the proper parts and consumables. There's no need to do anything more frequently than specified, but doing the scheduled maintenance a few miles early eliminates any questions about whether you lived up to the requirements or not. Document your work in the Maintenance Log and you're covered. Keeping receipts isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The above posts left out the time interval. Unless Hyundai has changed their requirements, the belt must be changed at 4 years/60k miles to maintain the 10/100 warranty on the belt. I've seen one or two here that were declined warranty coverage because they were over four years.

Reply to
hyundaitech