Re: Is the AWD SantaFe available ...attn: HYUNDAITECH

'the AWD SantaFe available with an 'O.D'. 4 speed Auto Trans ? Group: alt.autos.hyundai Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2005, 8:10pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@not.public.com (hyundaitech)

The 2.7 AWD comes with a 4 speed automatic in the us. The 3.5 comes with a 5 speed auto only.'

REPLY: I bought my folks a 2004 AWD Santa Fe, 2.7. with auto trans...and its either not an o.d. trans. or, its not going into o.d. . I know this because i have a 2002 Santa fe , 2.7, with o.d. auto trans, and the rpms are lower than theres at highway speeds. What now ?? How can i make sure its really an o.d. auto trans ?

Thanks.

Reply to
ChimChimery ChimChimery

The final drive ratio on the AWD santa fe is significantly different than the 2WD santa fe. You'll also notice there is a 3-4 mpg highway difference between the 2WD and AWD santa fes. You're also hauling around a lot of extra hardware that has a fairly high chance of breaking. In other words, you don't buy AWD unless you *need* it on a regular basis.

Also, I've noticed our 03 SF LX V6 2WD stay in 3rd under a specific fluid temperature (I'd guess 30F or so, I've only witnessed this operation a few times as I live in Texas), and will not engage lockup (converter clutch override) until long after the engine is warmed up... Good ideas - ensuring plenty of fluid flow during extreme conditions is what keeps a transmission alive...

My 01 SF GLS V6 2WD doesn't seem to do the whole 3rd gear thing, but does not engage lockup until long after the engine is warmed up... I noticed today (74F out) it was about 5 miles before lockup engaged, engine was fully warmed up within 2 miles..

BTW, its easy enough to verify all your shifts - use the 'autostick'... if you don't notice a rev change between 3rd and 4th you have a problem. If it won't let you shift into 4th when traveling over 45 mph, you've got a problem...

When lockup is disengaged you'll notice the car revs about 300 rpm higher on the highway, and the tach will move slightly for even the slightest change in throttle. When in lockup your engine is directly linked to the input shaft of the transmission, lowering RPMs and you'll notice your tach doesn't move with small throttle input changes.

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

"j4k3" wrote: > ChimChimery ChimChimery wrote: > > 'the AWD SantaFe available with an 'O.D'. 4 speed Auto Trans > ? > > > > Group: alt.autos.hyundai Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2005, 8:10pm > (CST+1) From: > > snipped-for-privacy@not.public.com (hyundaitech) > > > > The 2.7 AWD comes with a 4 speed automatic in the us. The > 3.5 comes with > > a 5 speed auto only.' > > > > REPLY: I bought my folks a 2004 AWD Santa Fe, 2.7. with > auto > > trans...and its either not an o.d. trans. or, its not going > into o.d. . > > I know this because i have a 2002 Santa fe , 2.7, with o.d. > auto trans, > > and the rpms are lower than theres at highway speeds. What > now ?? How > > can i make sure its really an o.d. auto trans ? > > > > Thanks. > > The final drive ratio on the AWD santa fe is significantly > different > than the 2WD santa fe. You'll also notice there is a 3-4 mpg > highway > difference between the 2WD and AWD santa fes. You're also > hauling > around a lot of extra hardware that has a fairly high chance > of > breaking. In other words, you don't buy AWD unless you *need* > it on a > regular basis. > > Also, I've noticed our 03 SF LX V6 2WD stay in 3rd under a > specific > fluid temperature (I'd guess 30F or so, I've only witnessed > this > operation a few times as I live in Texas), and will not engage > lockup > (converter clutch override) until long after the engine is > warmed up... > Good ideas - ensuring plenty of fluid flow during extreme > conditions > is what keeps a transmission alive... > > My 01 SF GLS V6 2WD doesn't seem to do the whole 3rd gear > thing, but > does not engage lockup until long after the engine is warmed > up... I > noticed today (74F out) it was about 5 miles before lockup > engaged, > engine was fully warmed up within 2 miles.. > > BTW, its easy enough to verify all your shifts - use the > 'autostick'... > if you don't notice a rev change between 3rd and 4th you have > a problem. > If it won't let you shift into 4th when traveling over 45 > mph, you've > got a problem... > > When lockup is disengaged you'll notice the car revs about 300 > rpm > higher on the highway, and the tach will move slightly for > even the > slightest change in throttle. When in lockup your engine is > directly > linked to the input shaft of the transmission, lowering RPMs > and you'll > notice your tach doesn't move with small throttle input > changes. > > JS

My 2.7 pulls about 2350 rpm in top at 70 mph. It is just a straightforward 4 sp Auto

Reply to
H11LGX