Oil was 2 quarts low 500 miles after oil change HyundaiTech?

My car today when I checked it at a gas station (2004 Hyundai Accent

27,000miles) was 2 quarts low (Acctually did not register on dipstick but after adding 2 quarts it was full) Noticed on street where I park oil marks. I had my oil changed on Friday of last week and about 500 miles ago. If it has had a leak and was 2 quarts low would there be any damage after 500 miles of driving? Not sure where its coming from yet, but its not the Oil plug (Already checked that) my guess is oil filter. If the dealership is to blame (Bob Bell Ford Kia Hyundai in Glen Burnie MD) will they acknowledge damage may have been done and fix it? Is there a way to tell if there is damage?

Thanks,

Matthew Rebbert

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

You may wish to check the filter yourself as that's fairly easy. If you don't see anything obvious and correctable, I'd take it back to Bob Bell. I know the lead Hyundai tech there and doubt he'd mislead you if he were to look at the car. I don't think they'd fail to correct anything that was their fault. I purchase nearly all my Ford parts there, and they've always treated me well. Furthermore, even if it wasn't their fault, it's probably covered under you new vehicle warranty anyway.

And you probably haven't damaged anything yet. Just make sure you get it under control very quickly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I called Bob Bell Service but they were closed so I ended up taking it to my local Wal-Mart (My friend works in service) he said it was the filter, when he got it off the seal was loose and moving freely, he said it should be fixed in place. He threw a new filter on and now its fine (as far as I know) I talked to Rick at Bob Bell (New car sales manager) and he said that they would cover any costs of getting the leak stopped as long as it was something like a bad filter or plug gasket. I asked my friend (Not a whole lot of car training but a gear head none the less, and I trust him with something like oil) and he said if the oil light did not come on and I only drove it 500 miles it should be fine. What are your thoughts?

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

I agree with your friend. Besides, little auto training isn't necessarily detrimental.

Reply to
hyundaitech