Oil light

I have a 1988 740 GLE with over 400,000 miles. It has a slight oil leak at the back of the block where the rotor mounts. It leaks maybe a quart a month or less depending on driving distance otherwise it doesn't burn any. This week I was on my way to an interview when the light came on. This usually indicates that it is a quart and a half low and since I didn't want to get oil on my interview clothes I just ignored it, knowing that I didn't have far to go. Yesterday, it was pouring rain and so I didn't put oil in the either but only drove maybe a total of 5 miles however the light came on and stayed. Today I drove to the store (less than 2 miles) and put oil in but when I started the car the light stayed on. I let it idle a bit hoping the light would go out but it didn't. I checked the oil level and it was still not registering so I put 2 more quarts in to fill it. The light is still on. I don't think there is any more engine noise than usual but I wonder if I've cause damage or by letting it get so low have I clogged something that's keeping the sensor from working. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
Denny A

That engine is probably toast, the oil light is not a low oil indicator, it is a low *oil pressure* indicator, so when it is on, irreversible damage is being done *right now*. The o-ring for the distributor is only a few dollars, checking the oil regularly only takes a few seconds, but instead you are probably looking at a new car unless you are very lucky and it is just a bad sender or wiring problem. Odd though that the light would come on at only a quart and a half low. The only time mine has ever come on was when my crankcase vent hose clogged and the valve cover gasket blew out, it dumped nearly 3 quarts of oil in my drive home and the light only came on as I went around a corner and the oil sloshed away from the pickup tube then went out right away. What a mess under the hood, but at least it was caught before starvation occurred under load.

Reply to
James Sweet

The only good news here is that the new car won't be dumping toxic used oil on the roads. At least not until it's been neglected for a few years...

Reply to
Leftie