Question for HyundaiTech

The drivers seat belt on my 99 Sonata was not retracting so I decided to see if I could use some lubricate to loosen it up. I couldn't get to it very well recessed in the door column, so I decided to take it out so as to see/work on it better. Big Mistake. As soon as I took it out , it rolled up more and now will not pull out at all. Its now hanging halfway up the column. Is there any way to get this back at least the way it was? I fell pretty dumb now to even have messed with it. I had to take the connector off to remove it and now it can't reach down enough to reconnect. Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
Partner

OK, after taking a break and cooling off, I figured out how to get it back in place. Still doesn't retract properly but that's ok. New problem, while I was figuring out what to do, I had to move it out of the drive way so wife could get the other car out to go to a Dr. appointment. Now the air bag lite is on and will not go off. It won't go off by itself now, right? Any issue on leaving it on? What about state pollution test? Any ideas on turning it off. What's your guessable on what dealer charges? thanks

Reply to
Partner

Partner wrote:

Reply to
Plague Boy

I think it'll go off after some number of self-tests with no issue, but this may be a large number. If you explain to the dealer what happened, they may extinguish the lamp for 0.5 hour labor, or even for free if they're feeling really nice.

In case this wasn't what you figured out, the easy way of reinstalling the seat belt is to unbolt the upper anchor, reinstall the retractor (which will keep the retractor in the proper orientation), and then extend the belt to reinstall the upper anchor.

Reply to
hyundaitech