Question for HyundaiTech

Just curious what you think about changing the oil from the top through the dip stick opening? I've seen kits advertised for this purpose along with the claim that "Mercedes Techs" are taught to do it that way.

Steve

Reply to
SKPhotos

I,m told that some European cars dont have a sump drain plug anymore so one has to use the filler. Seems cost cutting in the extreme.

Reply to
John

I first saw that done in the 1960's at a Merit gas station. The even sold re-refined oil for 15¢ a quart. I imagine the technology has improved and it can be just as effective as pulling a plug if it gets all the old oil out. No matter how you change it, some residue is going to be left behind.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Agree with the others, but if your filter is located under the engine, what's the point?

Reply to
hyundaitech

If the filter is at the lowest point under the engine, then there is no point in a separate drain plug. I've never seen a filter which was at the lowest point as it would be quite vulnerable to damage unless a skid plate was included.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

HT's point was that if the filter is located under the engine (as opposed to being accessible from above), you have to put the car on a lift anyways to change it, so there's no advantage to eliminating the sump drain plug. Unless Hyundai is going back to recommending changing the filter every other oil change.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

One of my company cars (81 Olds Cutlass) was a lease through Avis with full maintenance. They only changed the filter every other oil change. I always wonder how well the engine held up long term.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Keep in mind though. the Sonata V-6 has the filter up top.

I quit doing my own oil changes after buying my '91 Regal. It was a real PITA to change the filter using ramps in the driveway. Twenty years later, the filter is easy to get at but I'd rather pay than crawl under a car. The cost of a pump device would have to be cheap enough to justify buying it though, for a few changes a year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski