Re: 2005 Tiburon GT - Outside temperature sensor

Hello hyundaitech,

h> Your ambient temperature sensor should be mounted to the vertical h> support in front of the radiator. h> h> Because of its location, there's complicated logic involved in h> whether the control head uses the temperature it reads from the h> sensor or keeps the old temperature. The logic is intended to not h> allow the heat from the radiator to influence the temperature h> reading. Unfortunately, I know of nowhere where Hyundai specifies h> what logic they use for this.

Thanks for the good info (as usual). I will have a look and make sure there is no debris or anything there.

When I drove off and noticed the constant 60 deg.F reading, it was sitting on a concrete parking lot in open sun -- a situation that tends to give an initial false high reading. Normally, after driving off the read temp would drop to the correct temperature. In this particular case, it was behaving counter to that.

Have you seen m/any complaints regarding this sensor in your shop?

Regards, Wayne Moses

Reply to
Wayne Moses

I can't speak about Hyundai yet because it has been OK so far and I've not had it during the summer. On my Buick, even on a very hot day, the temperature would not always show if it is higher than the last reading when the car was shut down for only a few hours. If I did not use the car all day, it would usually be on the high side as you note, then comes down after drive off.

If the actual temperature was lower, it would come down to the correct reading very shortly after the car is moving. If the actual temperature is higher, I'd have to drive for at least 3 miles before the reading would go up. It is possible to take a couple of short trips, say 1 to 1.5 miles, and have the reading the same as the earlier low reading. The reason for the lag to increase is so that sitting in traffic the sensor is not quickly fooled by engine heat.

The there was the day I was listening to the radio station. 101.0 FM at 1:01 on a hot summer afternoon when the temperature was 101 degrees. I thought the computer just went crazy for that moment.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Haven't had any complaints with Tiburon. I believe there are TSBs about inaccuracy on Sonata, Azera, and Santa Fe, however.

What may have been happening with your car is that the control unit thought the higher actual temperature was influenced by the radiator, so it kept the cooler temperature instead of changing.

Reply to
hyundaitech