Outside temperature sensor

I've been wondering exactly where the external temperature sensor is located on my 2014 Outback LTD Wagon. Hard bit of info to find. Thanks

Reply to
Wilson

found:

VanguardLH

Thank you very much! That YouTube video is the bomb!

Reply to
Wilson

Interesting. I had always assumed that the sensor would be up inside the "snorkel" air intake housing. Guess you can learn something every day if you're paying attention.

Reply to
John McGaw

You're probably thinking about the MAF or IAF air temperature sensor for the intake air into the engine. The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor senses air volume, density, and temperature, and is in the air intake stream before the throttle body. That affects operation of the engine.

As for the ambient air temperature sensor, I think that is only a convenience device letting you know the temperature outside the car, much like the compass in the rear view mirror, or door switch to turn on/off the dome lights.

Reply to
VanguardLH

'Guess you can learn something every day if you're paying attention.' I frequently use that line. ;)

Reply to
Wilson

I guess I'm more of a "less is better" sort of guy. If you are measuring outside air temperature in one place then why not just use that measurement elsewhere? Doing otherwise just increases complexity and introduces one more point of potential failure -- another sensor, another connector, more cabling. Guess I'd never make it in automotive design...

Reply to
John McGaw

I think that sensor may also be used by climate control as another data point, like the sun sensor.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan