Abient Temperature Sensor not accurate on 2002 F150

I purchased my F150 new in late '01 and it has the compass and ambient temperature reading in the console between the visors. The temperature reading was always quite accurate until a few months ago when I noticed that it started reading about 10 degrees higher than the actual temp. Not when I was sitting in traffic or when I first started the truck (which can be normal), but pretty much all the time. I called Ford and they wanted $115 to "diagnose the problem" plus whatever it would cost to fix it.

Instead, I located the sensor (in front of the radiator) and cleaned it off, hoping that would do the trick. Well, it still reads about 10 degrees high. I thought about replacing the sensor myself and the cost of a new one is $100, which i will pay if that is the problem. Does anyone know if there is anything else I should do or check before dropping the $100 and replacing the sensor? Please let me know.

THanks!

Reply to
Drigo

Might as well give up on it. My 04 F150SC was reading 79 degrees on the day I bought it, the only problem was it was July 8 and it was 108 degrees outside in El Paso. That is the one thing that I have NEVER been able to get correct even with many trips to the dealer. The service manager would laugh at me telling me that they never work right.

Joe in El Paso

Reply to
Joe G

Sounds like you need a new service manager. The one you have is full of crap.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Has to be CASA Ford right? I always take my screw to Expressway....better service!

Reply to
Rick

On the 04 there was an update to the PCM to fix the incorrect temp reading. Mine had the problem and the reprogram did the trick.

Reply to
Marlin Singer