Re: Depreciation

Voyager wrote in news:rJcOo.3785$ju1.3674 @newsfe14.iad:

I agree that it is important to people with more money than brains who > lease cars and/or buy a new one every 3 years or less. Then again, if > you have that kind of money, the difference in depreciation isn't going > to matter to you. > > Matt

Matt, you must know there are other reasons than just having more money than brains to buy a new car frequently, right?

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Well, maybe a traveling salesman who drives 60,000 miles a year. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Voyager wrote in news:P8yOo.9792$lL1.3578 @newsfe21.iad:

Maybe. But what about someone with a growing family? Or someone that just doesn't like what they are driving any more? Those are two that come to mind.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Sure. I was talking mainly at people to trade for the sake of trading. Even the cases you mention here are largely due to poor planning. When my family was growing. I bought a minivan. When they kept growing, I bought a second minivan when the first one was totaled by a drunk drive with 178,000 on it. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

One careless owner

Reply to
Irwell

I doubt I'll own my 2010 Accent 4-door long enough to determine longevity/depreciation.

I bought a new 2010 Accent two months ago, but, being old-school, didn't think to look for or ask about a TEMPERATURE GAUGE at time of purchase.

And the salesman didn't tell me about this missing instrument, either. Since that day he's been hard to contact.

Intentional?

I'll probably never know.

But the absence of an in-dash analog gauge has made me uncomfortable, and skeptical. Like what ELSE DOESN'T this motor vehicle have?

Reply to
BIGtitties

Disagree. When starting off on a frigid day I look at my temp gauge so I know I can stop shivering.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

You'd have loved my Buick Regal. The gauge would peg hot as soon as you turned the key. No shiver needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But how many are in fact "real" gauges? GM does still include a real pressure transducer for oil pressure (or at least they did the last time I looked at GM Truck Manual), BUT the dash oil pressure gauge is not connected directly to the transducer. The signal for all of the gauges is routed trough the PCM, so GM can play the same sort of games with the dash reading as anyone else. Maybe the reading are "real time" or maybe not (hard to tell from the wiring diagrams). But at least they do gather actual oil pressure information beyond some and none - although given the reliability of most cheap transducers I am not sure there is any practical difference.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The way GMC describes the gauges on the 2011 models leaves a lot of wiggle room. They say:

"Instrumentation: Analog cluster with speedometer, fuel level, engine temperature and tachometer. On 1500 SLE , SLT and Denali models, includes voltmeter and oil pressure indicators."

Indicators seems to imply that they might not be real analog gauges....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

No it does not, and its completely trivial to prove how they actually work.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Aside from display preference and whether the gauges are discrete, it makes absolutely no difference. By discrete I mean mostly segregated from other systems. Lighting might be tied to a common electrical source. The ECU shouldn't get between the sensor and display. I prefer analog display. But piping oil to a bourdon tube gauge means absolutely nothing if the gauge is no good or the piping gets obstructed. If it's accurate, it's accurate. Anybody who is concerned about gauge accuracy should test with another gauge to verify.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The temperature gauge in my 99 Camry sure acts like a fake analog gauge. I've never had a gauge that was so rock steady. That's OK, it would probably cause me worry if moved all over the place like real gauges do. Thanks for the low down.

Reply to
dsi1