Heres a current list of cars that depreciate quickly

Dave in Lake Villa

I didn't find the story at that link, but did find it at this longer link;

JPH

Yes. But consider this. My 1996 Hyundai Accent which depreciated like wild fire the moment I drove it off the lot after paying $7,500 for it brand new now has 210,192 miles on it. With an average mpg around 40 miles/gallon, I figure I got my money's worth and could care less about depreciation. With some luck, thus now starting to rust, machine will reach 300,000 miles on the odometer. I hope so. I'm trying to catch up with my wife's 1993 Subaru Impreza which has 229,313 miles on it before either car gives out.

Reply to
Jozef

Very true. I also tend to keep my vehicles until "death due us part" and so depreciation is merely a fictitious expense dreamed up by accountants. Now if you are one of those "more money than brains" people who trade cars every year or three, then depreciation is a very real concern.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:p48bg.8888$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Man, good thing you put the "more money than brains" in quotes or you might just have started another flame war :-) Of course, what other reason could someone have for buying a new car every few years except for having too much money and too little brain?

How does someone with such a big brain wind up saying such stupid stuff all the time? Or do you really believe everything you say?

Hey, you know you are entitled to your opinion. But you probably know what they say about opinions....

Eric

P.S. - I usually turn over my cars every few years for the plain and simple reason that I am tired of them. Or something better has come along. I can't do it with my wife (too expensive).

Reply to
Eric G.

'I drove it off the lot after paying $7,500 for it brand new now has

210,192 miles on it. With an average mpg around 40 miles/gallon, I figure I got my money's worth and could care less about depreciation'

REPLY: Ill second that ! Boy, you cant complain about that car .

Reply to
dave

Hyundai and Kia suffer from one specific disadvantage in resale value: their warranty. Your shiny new Hyundai is a used car the moment you drive it off the lot. That means when it's sold, the 10/100 powertrain warranty evaporates, leaving you with the basic 5/60. Ever tried to purchase a 5 year powertrain warranty on a used car? That is the equivalent value lost in the transition between new and used.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

That's still better than the 3/36 on many new cars. I am more inclined to believe that Kia and Hyundai take a big depreciation hit because many people still think of them as being junk, they're not anymore, at least not all of them, But that reputation is hard to shake. That coupled with the fact that for whatever reasons, it seems like Hyundai and Kia dealers bend over backwards to try to void the warranty and make you pay for everything. My sister has a 2000(?) Kia Rio with 15,500 miles on it that has been trouble from the day she purchased it, and she swears she will never buy another. I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent, My first Hyundai, Probably will be my last, Great little car, lousy dealer. My brother lost one Hyundai in hurricane Katrina, and traded the other one in shortly after, Neither replacement is a Hyundai. In my opinion, Hyundai has come a long way but needs to clean up its act with many of their dealers, It's hard to build customer loyalty when the dealers try to screw everybody.

Jack Cassidy

Reply to
Jack Cassidy

HAHAHAHA Here we go again ........

Reply to
Tunez

Hmmm, a car is a tool , nobody "gets tired" of a tool ...... you can tell yourself what you want though .

Reply to
Michael

Eric SAID .......

P.S. - I usually turn over my cars every few years for the plain and simple reason that I am tired of them. Or something better has come along. I can't do it with my wife (too expensive).

Good one Eric I too turn my cars over every few years, Better looks better technology ECT.

I also did it with a wife once !!!!! but it was well worth the expense...hahahahaha

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

Yes, I mean what I say and I say what I mean. I realize that is becoming increasingly rare in this PC world in which we live, but, hey, that is me.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I like depreciation. I buy my cars 1-2 years old and I like those cars that take a nice first year hit.

More money than brains? That's what I used to think too,, but the more I work on cars now, the more I believe those folks may not be so stupid. Drive 'em trade 'em in before you have to do *anything* to them, and go about the other things in life. What the heck - a car payment is a car payment. Why worry about depreciation if you're resigned to a car payment for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, you obviously have more brains than money. :-)

Well, I've owned, I think, five vehicles now that I purchased brand new. Let me think - 84 Accord, 86 Comanche, 89 Acclaim, 94 K1500 and 2006 Sonata, yep, five, oh, 8 if you count motorcycles!. I've had more trouble and more trips to the dealer per unit time during the first three years of ownership of the new vehicles, than during any three year time I've owned any of the vehicles that were more than three years old, with only one exception. When my 96 minivan had an intermittent fuel pump problem at the 150,000 mile mark, I had it in the shop 4 times in less than a year before they found the problem.

So, I my personal experience doesn't bear out the "new car is less trouble" theory. My vehicles have typically been most reliable in the

3-8 years of age and 40 - 150K miles range. That is one reason that you see my new car purchase spacing getting ever longer. :-) Three kids to tear up vehicles is the other reason!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Huh? You lost me with that logic Chris. The Hyundai comes with the 5/60 power train warranty used, and you would have to purchase that with most other used cars. How is that a depreciation factor? Hyundai and Kia suffer steep depreciation because of the reliability issues in their earlier years. The quality of these cars has come up enormously in the past few years and as a result the depreciation is starting to reflect that. In a short time you will see them depreciating no more steeply than any other car in their class.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Michael" wrote in news:ubadnXB2lfeHnfPZRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

When a better tool comes along, something that makes the day-to-day use of that tool more desireable, and I get to try the new tool, yes, I do get tired of the old one rather quickly.

When it is not costly to keep it, I will keep the old tool for future use, but with limited space and finances, keeping a car around forever isn't really practical.

Thanks for your opinon though.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Tunez" wrote in news:d7pbg.19037$XV5.2840@fed1read10:

I'm starting to think that one time (with the wife) might be worth it too :-)

But apparently we are wealthier in finances than thought.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Matt Whiting wrote in news:5rpbg.8901$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

More power to you. I do the same most of the time. It's the fact that you believe what you say that scares the crap outta me. But, hey, that's just me.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:48f5c$446e24ab$45289739$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

I'm sure you are saying some of that tounge-in-cheek, but you do make a good point. Since 1990, my car payments have only gone down (admittedly, not much) each time I traded up.

A few times I traded up my car loan was actually "upside-down", but that hasn't happened yet with my Hyundai's.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :-)

I'm curious; what do I believe that "scares the crap outta" you?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting