Replacing headlamps

The headlamps on my '05 Elantra hatch seem to be only for show (not that bright). I plan on replacing them with silverstars. Can someone give me a step by step on how to best change the lamps. This is my first car so I am not used to working on them, and I figured headlamps shouldn't be that hard to do and a good way to get my hands dirty.

Reply to
Smee
++First of all, as long as your hands aren't too big, you should be able to change them without moving anything - even my rather large hand was able to slide behind the battery and get to it.

++Each headlamp has a dust cover, and there are two on each side (one for your low-beams, one for high-beams). Remember to open the OUTBOARD ones, as those are the ones for the low beams. Turn them counter-clockwise, and they should come off with no problem;

++Remove the electrical connector off the bulb. You may have to move it from side-to-side a bit, but you should be able to pull if off;

++The bulb is held by a retaining spring. As you look at the spring, there should be a finger of it running to the right side of the assembly. Place your finger on it, and press in (towards the capsule), and then lift it up. It should swing right out of the way;

++BEFORE you remove the headlamp, note how the both the new bulb and the bulb in the assembly have this little notch in the silver circle around the capsule. Note where that notch is on the bulb you are removing (almost always either straight up or straight down);

++I usually wrap the old bulb in a shop towel before I throw it away. Making sure you do not touch the glass on the new bulb, place it into the assembly with the notch in exactly the same position as before. If you don't, it may seem like it's in, and you can even get the retaining spring to lock it in place, but it won't be straight. When it is in properly it should look absolutely straight through the headlamp lens, and you should see absolutely nothing but silver back at its base;

++Holding the capsule by the electrical connector, replace and relock the spring (in, then down on the bulb); reconnect the electrical connector. Test the bulb before you replace the dust cover.

Incidentally, if you use SilverStars, you had better be prepared to keep these instructions and use them frequently. My son uses them, and has had to replace them a number of times. He does like them.

And he has discovered that he didn't have to replace his highbeams. SilverStar low-beams with the original equipment high beams shine quite impressively, at least on his Elantra.

Hope this helps!

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Since you?ve not done this before, I?d recommend removing the driver?s headlamp. Remove the little plastic cover behind the headlamp and going back to the air box. Then remove the three 10mm bolts holding the headlamp in place and remove the assembly (unplugging the electrical connectors). With the lamp out you?ll easily be able to see how to unclip the retainer and remove the bulb.

Before reinstalling the headlamp, take the cover off the rear of the passenger headlamp and, using the driver?s as a reference, replace the bulb in the passenger headlamp.

Then reinstall the driver?s headlamp.

"Smee" wrote: > The headlamps on my '05 Elantra hatch seem to be only for show > (not > that bright). I plan on replacing them with silverstars. Can > someone > give me a step by step on how to best change the lamps. This > is my > first car so I am not used to working on them, and I figured > headlamps > shouldn't be that hard to do and a good way to get my hands > dirty.

Reply to
Hyundaitech

Thanks to both of you. As far as needing to replace them a lot, I only have 7200 miles on the car after two years but I have family that lives in Maine and I usually travel up there in the early morning so I need to see the road, other than that I do mostly daytime driving.

Reply to
Smee

In addition I would add that an inspection mirror (small mirror on the end of an adjustable handle) helps a lot. I couldn't quite figure out how to undo the wire clip until I viewed it with my mirror.

Reply to
Victek