Headlamps bulbs....

As I get older, I have found that ever since going long sighted that I can ’t pick out the road features when there are oncoming cars on unlit
roads in the dark
However if the roads are well lit with street lamps or do not have oncoming cars I can see well in the dark.
It’s as if I have poor contrast sensitivity when I cannot pick out darkly coloured things in the presence of bright light.
For example, if someone stands in front of a wall, I can see their face cle arly but if the same person stands in front of a window, their face appears solid black so I can’t pick out their eyes, nose, lips etc.
I have a golf estate and I am wondering if I could change my lightbulbs to something better to help me with night time driving?
I believe I use the H3, H5 and H7 bulbs.
I have seen bulbs Advertised as “night breakers” et. Al. bu t wanted to see if there were any recommendations or suggestions.
On 04/01/2019 21:33, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

You might find that wearing 'night driving' glasses helps, they are a sort of amber colour, which improves contrast, just as sodium street lights do.
On 05/01/2019 10:46, MrCheerful wrote:

On a slightly another note, I saw a tv piece where the police randomly stopped an elderly driver, then picked on a parked car which policeman 'estimated' was 20m away without doing measurement, asked the elderly driver to read the numberplate on that parked car. As the driver failed, policeman took off his driving licence. Seems to me so many problems with that exercise.
On 05/01/2019 12:24, johannes wrote:

What problems specifically? I ask as it appears to me a fair summary of the lawful known as "Cassie's Law" - s.96 RTA 1988 but since 2013 with means for the police to report failure to pass a number plate test and DVLA to revoke almost immediately the licence.
--
Robin
On 05/01/2019 14:03, Robin wrote:

OK, the problem I have is the casual setting by just picking a parked car some distance away, not considering weather or light or even accurate distance, or the quality of the numberplate chosen.
Secondly, how important is that exactly; it doesn't distinguish a good driver with no accident record from a bad driver.
And why selecting elderly drivers in particular for this exercise; shouldn't they pick on any driver e.g. wearing glasses?
On 06/01/2019 03:44, johannes wrote:

An 87-year-old driver from Woking failed an eye test after narrowly missing a police car when he turned the wrong way onto a main road. The man voluntarily surrendered his driving licence after failing a roadside eye test.
Police said he could only read a number plate from just 7.3m (24ft) away. Drivers are legally required to be able to read a registration plate from a distance of 20.5m (around 67ft).
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/drivers-vision-tested-police-pulled-15108225
On 06/01/2019 03:44, johannes wrote:

It's hard to be sure about an unspecified TV programme but:
a. such programmes may well omit boring bits such as the police assessing the quality of the plate, light etc. And they've been doing roadside eye tests for decades so it's a well-worn process
b. if you think someone who fails the 20m test is fit to drive then lobby for a change in the law. But the evidence is against you. Much as it was against those who argued drink-driving laws were unfair as "I'm a better driver even after a few drinks than the average..."
c. who said they were testing only elderly drivers? That's not true of forces generally. And 3 are piloting tests for _all_ drivers they stop
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45387965
--
Robin
On 06/01/2019 07:30, Robin wrote:

Yeah, the media, and bbc in particular, love to pick on the elderly. They always emphasize the age of an erratic the driver if over say 70. But not interested in this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5og40PaU_FM
it doesn't suit their agenda.
Anyway, there are good comments both ways below the story. The attitude of the driver is No. 1 importance IMO. Comment Quote:
"Ok sure but ... What's more dangerous, a slightly visually impaired in an ordinary car not showing off doing 40 mph who can read a number plate at 10 m max or a pretend racing driver with 20:20 vision in a 300 HP turbo sports 4x4 showing off overtaking 4 cars and a bus at a road junction doing 85 mph + on the wrong side of the road on double white lines?"
Wow, I never knew such a thing existed!
Presumably I can get these at my local opticians with my prescription lenses in them?
S.
On 05/01/2019 15:08, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

or wear a plain pair over your glasses, or even a clip on pair.
On 04/01/2019 21:33, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

You'll need to check the fitting before purchase. The only ones I have seen are H1, H4 or H7.

I fitted brighter bulbs, but found they are not much help. On full beam, the old lights were perfectly adequate. But, that's only usable when the road ahead is clear. On dipped beam, the new brighter bulbs increased the reflection back off the road surface, so I did not find there was any real improvement in more distant vision.
The right approach is to polarise the light from all the headlights diagonally, and for drivers to wear diagonally polarised glasses. But, that requires changes to all existing vehicles.

It's made far far worse by modern cars having more powerful headlights. And often rather poor beam control.
I've just fitted an HID kit to mine. From hids4u. Subjectively about 4 times the light of the original halogens. About 90 quid Sod MOT etc regulations - they don't seem to apply to new cars.
My car has those projector dips - the sort with the bulls eye lens. The beam pattern with the HIDs is the same as with tungsten - a very sharp cutoff. Other types of headlight might scatter more.
--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

May be £90 wasted then. Remember that "headlamp" refers to the physical housing unit and "headlight" refers to the bulb or light source.
Section 4.1.4 Defect C states that "Light source and lamp not compatible" and it's a "Major" defect. This means that a unit made for and meant to contain halogen bulbs must have halogen bulbs - nothing else will do.
I was under the impression that proper hid lamps had to have a bull's eye lens.
All of my headlamps do not have this lens and have halogen bulbs in them.
I was under the impression that a hid bulb in a halogen headlamp unit was a big no no as it's a mot fail.
Thus, if I want hid bulbs, I have to change the headlamp units as well?
The car in question is a golf Mk7 2017 match diesel estate.
The kits on hids4u app at to just be the bulbs only.
Also how do I tell the ECU that I have switched from halogen headlamps to hid headlamps without it throwing up an error message on the dash?

I dunno - but the type of optics which use that bulls eye are far more tolerant of the lamp type than plain reflector ones. The beam pattern as viewed on a wall on mine is near identical to the halogen one. Just a lot brighter.

It's a blanket law written by idiots.

Not so - they include the ballast and devices to fool the canbus and bulb failure unit into thinking it is still halogen.

Basically, a decent kit makes the new look like the old to the car system. Something replacement LEDs seem to lack.
--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

As I said, a totally stupid law made by civil servants with not the slightest idea of technolgy. Aided and abetted by pressure groups out to sell new cars. It's patently obvious on the road that the amount of dazzle from new cars varies enormously. Unless lots of them have their beams miss aligned.
--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :

None of which matters to the MOT tester who will have to fail your car because of a mismatch between bulb and housing.

And do you really think most will know if the car was fitted with HID originally or not? On my particular car there is no external difference to the headlight units.
--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :

The presence of ballasts and the colour of the light output may be a clue.

But they were an option on many cars. So how are they going to know if they are original or a later addition?
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Site Timeline