Headlamps for 2001 Dakota?

Either I'm going blind or my headlamps are starting to dim; seeing during rainy nights is especially troublesome (not to mention the testosterone-poisoned deer right now). I choose to believe it's the lamps . Most of the time, if someone in a shorter vehicle is following me, I can see their beams brighter than my own, as they shine out under my truck :)

They were never as bright as I'd like to begin with. They're 9007 model bulbs. I've read Phillips x-treme power are OK, as well as some highly expensive PIAA bulbs.

Wondering what suggestions folks have for good replacement bulbs, that are brighter than the OEMs.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Shouldn't you be baking all of us a pumpkin pie?

Happy Thanksgiving AADT

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

That's likely the real problem...

No help for you, but I have a meter that actually measures headlight output. Works to resolve those "I think the lights are dim" cases. Some GM dealers have the same tool (it is an AC Delco tool, part of a headlight alighnment kit).

I put 85 watt lights in the grandson's Honda the other day. I have not driven it at night but he says "Nice!"

I might still have the boxes in the garage for that light swap. Got them at CarQuest, where I have an account. Was $25 for two.

And why not? After all it's FOOD! Same to you (we're having Sushi this year...)

Reply to
PeterD

Have the lenses started to turn yellow and hazy?? If so, there is a polishing kit that I got from Advance auto that works great. Chuck it up in a cordless drill, use the three different grits of sandpaper and then the polish. Works great. Then install some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. My ole truck went from being borderline unsafe to drive at night to a real pleasure to drive.

Your welcome. Now send me some cookies while ole Roy is on the road!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Are you sure it's the bulbs?

I have a 99 Dakota, and the lenses are very cloudy, and need to be either cleaned (using the special re-surfacing kits) or replaced.

Reply to
Joe

Nope, thought of that. They're not crystal clear, but they are definitely not yellowed and seem as clear as they've been for many years.

As for the cookies... ::points at the nearest SuperWalmart:: I'm too busy cooking a little turkey (9#) and all the trimmings!

Happy Thanksgiving!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Nope, they don't seem cloudy, at least when they're clean :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (11/25/2009 6:12 PM):

Pumpkin Pie is Hubby's job. He abrogated his responsibility this year, and we got a pie from Bloom's this year.

I'm doing up a mini-bird (all of nine pounds) with all the trimmings. It's just the two of us (and the cat).

Happy turkey day to all!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

9 pounds!!!! What did you do grab one as it came out of the egg????

Your hubby has an excuse you know, there is a shortage of canned pumpkin this year. It's been on the news. Maybe he was just letting the folks with large family's get one first :-)

Reply to
Steve W.

Have the lenses started to turn yellow and hazy?? If so, there is a polishing kit that I got from Advance auto that works great. Chuck it up in a cordless drill, use the three different grits of sandpaper and then the polish. Works great. Then install some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. My ole truck went from being borderline unsafe to drive at night to a real pleasure to drive.

Your welcome. Now send me some cookies while ole Roy is on the road!!

Hey!!!!! I'm back, so you can forget about screwing me out of the cookies!

Regarding your truck being borderiline unsafe. I'd think about anytrhing you haul yer fat ass into would be borderline unsafe, due to a overloading situation.

Now on to Jodi's issue. I hate to point this out to ya but your getting older. Had your eyes checked recently?

Hope everybody enjoyed the day!!

Roy

Denny

Reply to
Roy

For a moment I thought you were talking about me (!!), since your post doesn't seem to have attributed right.

Reminding a lady of her age is not the way to stay in her good graces! No cookies for you!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Jody, how could you think such a thing?

I was only looking out for your safety.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Keep us up, did you go for bulbs? I feel kinda same as you, brights are OK, dim are too dim on my 4x4 (2000 version).

Reply to
Plowboy7

.

I guess ole Roy kinda stepped on his willy there. You sure don't type like you're old Jodi. Now do I get Roys cookies??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

..

Roy, the only thing you were looking out for was your belly......

How did the trip go?? We took a drive up to Dundee to Cabela's Saturday and the traffic on I75 was a minimum of 80 mph. Good thing I took Kims T&C instead of my Caravan. My ole 3.3l would have died trying to keep up.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Suddenly, without warning, Plowboy7 exclaimed (11/30/2009 8:41 PM):

Nothing yet, need to get near an auto store or two and see what they have. Also need some time to actually look at my lenses closely and see if they need to be polished. They don't *seem* to be but I want to look again. I only seem to remember when it's dark out though :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Young at heart, I guess. And truly, I'm not old, but I'm no spring chicken either.

Been not doing cookies so much. Got a breadmaker and today made a truly awesome loaf of grain bread. Truly yummy. Will be really nice wrapped around some roast beef and swiss tomorrow "_

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Roy, the only thing you were looking out for was your belly......

How did the trip go?? We took a drive up to Dundee to Cabela's Saturday and the traffic on I75 was a minimum of 80 mph. Good thing I took Kims T&C instead of my Caravan. My ole 3.3l would have died trying to keep up.

Denny

What belly?

Trip was good with the exception of I-40 being closed due to a rock slide in NC. Had use I-26 to I-81 south to get around it. Added about a hour to get to Kentucky. Came home I-75 all the way back to Fl. Traffic was heavy in Atlanta but still moved well. Only accidents were northbound. Much better ride than I-95.

That isn't the same Caravan you had in Maine is it?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I guess ole Roy kinda stepped on his willy there. You sure don't type like you're old Jodi. Now do I get Roys cookies??

Denny

What a shameless suck up you are!!

Reply to
Roy

Look youngsters should never make fun of their elders. OK, now can I have Roy's cookies?

Reply to
PeterD